We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Commute from uptown

Which Huntersville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Williamsburg, VA
Commute from uptown

What is the commute like from Uptown to Huntersville now that the I-77 widening up to exit 23 is complete? I will be moving to Huntersville (off of Gilead Road) in May and will be working uptown. I will generally be going home between 5:30-6:30 in the evening. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Huntersville
1. Re: Commute from uptown

I moved to Huntersville in the Fall of '05 and have found the commute to be no problem. I also work close to Uptown and leave around that same time every day.

The widening has helped tremendously, and generally it takes about 20-25 minutes at peak driving times either way from Gilead Rd. to Uptown. The good news is there are a couple options if traffic looks backed up, especially if you are coming north. You can get off at Exit 18 and go behind Northlake Mall. That road is seldom traveled (at least for now) and from it you can get to a road that will allow you to cut through Huntersville Business Park (also no traffic anytime) to Gilead.

The other secret now is that most people try to merge over as soon as they see the "lane ends" sign after exit 18. You can actually stay in the right lane for another mile or so before merging and pass a ton of cars.

I would avoid the temptation of using Statesville as an alternate if at all possible. Especially during school months, it is very slow. Beatties Ford is a better option if you are closer to it in your new home, and it will take you closer to uptown.

Williamsburg, VA
2. Re: Commute from uptown

Thanks so much for the info. That really puts my mind at ease. We are going to live in Gilead Ridge, near the corner of Gilead and Beatties Ford, so Beatties Ford seems like a good option. How have you liked living in Huntersville otherwise? Do you feel like the increased crime from the city is spreading up to the Lake Norman area, or does it feel pretty safe? Again, thanks for the info. We love what we've seen of Huntersville and are really excited to get down there.

Concord, North...
reviews: 39
3. Re: Commute from uptown

The widening of I-77 makes all the difference in the world. Less than 30 minute commute. I don't live in Huntersville, but work here (off exit 25...you will be exit 23). Huntersville has become very congested (especially exit 25 and Birkdale area). However, have no concerns about the crime in this area. This area has plenty to do as far as restaurants, shopping, movies, parks and rec. Most everything is new, so not much charm, but it is a nice area.

NC
reviews: 1
4. Re: Commute from uptown

It is dangerous and inacccurate to tell people to have no concern about crime. That is not realistic.

Concord, North...
reviews: 39
5. Re: Commute from uptown

Bud, my comment should have read 'I" have no concerns. I have worked in Huntersville for more than 5 years. During that time, I have not had any personal experience w/ any type of crime (nor have any of my co-workers that I am aware of). Thus, "I" have no reason to be concerned about crime in this area.

Williamsburg, VA
6. Re: Commute from uptown

Thanks for the info. ncgator. I appreciate your response and understand its intent. Not surprisingly, bud41's comment was completely unnecessary and overly paternalistic. I have learned that most of his posts tend to be needlessly negative. Obviously your comment did not infer that I should not ever worry about any crime in Huntersville. I am aware that crime can happen anywhere and at any time. I was simply trying to guage how safe Huntersville feels to the people that live and work there, and you answered that question for me. Thanks again for the information.

NC
reviews: 1
7. Re: Commute from uptown

I am sorry you felt the need to personally attack me. I have posted over a thousand posts on Tripadvisor. You may wish to read them all and then give an accurate percentage you consider negative. Perhaps what one would call negative someone else may call accurate or informative. I will note your moniker and I will make a concerted effort not to bother you with a reply in the future. I apologize if you were offended. I wish you the best in your move.

Williamsburg, VA
8. Re: Commute from uptown

Accurate and informative? I haven't seen any of those from you yet, but I'll be on the lookout. Thanks for the offer not to bother me with any more though. I've read a number of your 1000 posts, and I can safely say I'm not really interested in your opinion about the area.

Charlotte, NC
reviews: 2
9. Re: Commute from uptown

Hey Brandante, no more giving away the I-77 commuter "secrets" You have the broken the sacred vow!

We Hootervillers have to stick together!

Now, if I can just get all those people out of the Gilead Rd Exit Only lane, I can get home from Uptown 2 minutes earlier. ;-D