We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of Transporting Cars from CA to NC??

Which Huntersville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
reviews: 45
Cost of Transporting Cars from CA to NC??

Has anyone paid a company to transport their car across the U.S.? I have looked into pricing and the cheapest is around $920 and the most expensive is several thousand dollars. Does anyone have a good company they can recommend?

Tega Cay, South...
reviews: 2
1. Re: Cost of Transporting Cars from CA to NC??

I would ALSO love to know the answer to this question!! We are planning to move to Tega Cay from Southern California (Downey) in mid January/February. My husband is a "car guy," and we have 4 cars to transport - 1 classic, 2 collectible, & 1 small '89 SUV. We found 1 website that got our attention. The lowest rate quote on their website for a "standard" sized car starts at $540. We wanted a "custom" quote, & they wanted $1,486 per "standard" car in an enclosed carrier, toploaded, from our door to their terminal. We haven't called them yet, so I can't tell you how good they might be, but this is the best, most thorough sounding one we've come across so far. We would also appreciate ANY & ALL input from everyone!!

California
2. Re: Cost of Transporting Cars from CA to NC??

I received 15 different quotes from various car moving companies. The cheapest that I have found is $910. They fully insure your vehicle and it's door to door service. I am going to continue looking around but that's seems like a very reasonable price.

So why are you deciding to get out of LA and move to Tega Cay? What do you like about that area? My wife and I went back to the Charlotte area two weeks ago and fell in love with it. I just took a job offer in the South Charlotte area and we will be moving towards the end of December.

Do you guys have any kids?

Tega Cay, South...
3. Re: Cost of Transporting Cars from CA to NC??

The car company we are interested in at this point also offers door to door service, but we figured since we have so many cars to transport, door to terminal service would be better for us due to scheduling & cost concerns.

We've decided to leave L.A. for the same reasons it seems everyone else is moving to North Carolina -- too many people here, horrific commute times, and a better quality of life there. Plus, with the housing market so crazy here, we can't afford to remodel!!

We spent a week in Charlotte at the end of September. We looked at houses in the Lake Norman & Lake Wylie areas. While both areas are beautiful, we fell in love with Tega Cay because it had the down-to-earth, friendly, small town feel we are looking for. We found our "dream house" in both areas, but opted for Tega Cay because we liked the feel of the area and people better there.

No, we don't have any kids, just cars & cats!!! (By the way, does anyone know of any good pet relocation companies??) I am 50 years old, & my husband is 46. I am a paralegal, and don't have a job there yet. I am told that I won't have a problem finding one once we get there, so we'll see!!

Have you found a house yet? Where? Tell us the details!

Tega Cay, South...
reviews: 4
4. Re: Cost of Transporting Cars from CA to NC??

Traveling - Too funny I called about 10 car relocation places too today! The cheapest I found was $894 door to door, or $627 if you dropped you car off to them in Carson and pick the car up in Pineville, NC which is 7 miles from Fort Mill. Let me know if you want their #.

GettinoutofLA - Maybe we'll be neighboors! We will be in NC this weekend house hunting, and first on our list to look at is Tega Cay! We are moving out there the second week of November from Mission Viejo, CA! I can't wait to see in person the place we've been researching for so long on the internet!

southcarolina
reviews: 21
5. Re: Cost of Transporting Cars from CA to NC??

to gettinoutofla: sorry but I just gotta know...do you happen to be the person that I received a phone call about?...if so...I've got a great story to tell you when you move to town...if your not the same person.....I've still got a great story for you. :o) Either way...Welcome and glad you liked Tega Cay so well!

Regarding transporting cars and movers....I have been kicking myself all day after the question arose about tranporting cars...due to the fact that just a little over 2 weeks ago I cleaned out my file cabinet...and in doing so I felt there was no reason to keep any of our files regarding the move any longer. I have being going some things to see if I can find anything on them but to no avail. I will check with my Husband tomorrow to see if possibly he still has any of the info. at his work. We were very happy with our movers and the people that transported our cars...so much so that when I had my parents items moved from CA to here...we used them again. We did not have my Dad's car transported though as he felt his car was not worth the expense of moving it...and of course this gave him a good excuse to buy new once he got out here. :o)

A few words of advice to anyone moving....you really need to weed through your items 2, 3, 6, 9, or even 10 times and really get rid of as much as you can. I can't even begin to tell you how much stuff we have gotten rid of (and we are still going through my Mother's stuff) after we moved here...that we really didn't need or want anymore...yet good money was paid to have it move all that distance.

Regarding pets...with the help of my vet in CA, a great vet we have here in Tega Cay, and information from the airlines we transported our animals ourselves...and they faired very well.

California
6. Re: Cost of Transporting Cars from CA to NC??

Missluv,

The number to the car mover would be great. That's cheaper than anything I found. Thanks!

Tega Cay, South...
7. Re: Cost of Transporting Cars from CA to NC??

missvluv - I hope you like Tega Cay as much as we did! I researched the Lake Wylie & the Lake Norman area for about 3 months before we visited. Tega Cay is even nicer in person than I thought it would be. It's certainly a refreshing change from L.A., that's for sure! Good luck on your house hunting this weekend, and your move in November!! I DO hope we will be neighbors! Keep us updated!

lovetegacaysc - Yup, that's me!!! I can't wait to hear your story! If all goes as planned, we'll be living 2 blocks from you come January/February!! I want to thank you for all of your input on all of the forums over the last 4 or 5 months. Thanks to you, we found a GREAT realtor, a great lead on our new home town, & we couldn't be happier!! I have tons of questions for you - so be prepared. Re: pets -- we have too many to transport ourselves, hence needing a pet relocation/transportation company.

southcarolina
reviews: 21
8. Re: Cost of Transporting Cars from CA to NC??

well, well, gettinoutofla...or should I start calling you neighbor :o) I'm glad that I was of some help to you..as far as questions you might have...feel free to bring em on!...and I'll try and answer as many as I can. It's also nice to have someone else come to the area and fall in love with it just as we have. Regarding the transporting of your animals have you tried a relocation company...maybe they have someone they can refer you to?

missluv (Natalie)The weather is beautiful here today (if you can believe it..it will be in the mid 80's :o)...but...I hate to break it to you...it is to cool down next week, with some possible rain coming this weekend...I will see if I can get that changed for you...but just in case bring some warm clothes :o)

Tega Cay, South...
reviews: 4
9. Re: Cost of Transporting Cars from CA to NC??

Traveling - here is the car people you can call for a quote: Dependable Auto Shippers - 1800-763-4165. If you go to www.movecars.com there is a HUGE list of car moving people on there - that where I got this #.

Lovestegacay - do you still have your info on the movers you used to move out there? I'm having a hard time with movers - the quotes are all over the place and I don't know who to trust, who is good, or who is a scam!! Any info you have would be great! I did read that there will be some rain this weekend. So I guess I'll have to pack a BIG suitcase for whatever sort of weather we'll get into!

Gettinoutofla - Did you use the same realtor Lovestega used? I went with someone else, and now I'm having doubts - we only have 4 days out there and I want the BEST realtor, I don't want to feel like we've wasted our time with someone who doesn't know their stuff or can't answer our questions. I've gotten MLS printouts for a few weeks now with this realtor and now she just informed me that someone else from her team will be showing us homes this weekend. This irritates me! I wonder if I should switch to who you guys used real quick!!!

Natalie

Tega Cay, South...
10. Re: Cost of Transporting Cars from CA to NC??

missvluv - Yes, I used the same realtor lovestega used. We love her!! She RERALLY knows her stuff, she doesn't pressure you, & she will show you only the houses that fit YOUR criteria, i.e., not houses that are $30,000 above your highest price point, only houses that have a master on main (if that is what you want), etc. I don't believe she even THOUGHT about passing us off to someone else!! Her name is Pam Orsburn at allentate.com (Allen Tate Realtors).

Dependable Auto Shippers is the company I was talking about earlier. Just an FYI - they do alot of the auto transport for Ebay cars. That's how we found them.