We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mecklenberg County Schools

Which Huntersville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
52 posts
45 reviews
Mecklenberg County Schools

In looking at the schools in Mecklenberg area, I have noticed quite a contrast between the schools in Charlotte and the schools outside of Charlotte but still in Mecklenburg County.

My wife and I are looking at moving to the Huntersville area. The schools in Huntersville seem superior to the Charlotte area in terms of scores, tests, etc. Is this accurate? Which area in Mecklenburg county has the best schools?

Thanks!

Tega Cay, South...
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
41. Re: Mecklenberg County Schools

Hi Traveling!

It looks like we'll probably need to rent an apt for a month or two when we first get there. We've had our condo on the market (priced high though) for over a week and not one person has come to see it. So I'm sure once we get back from NC and have fallen in love with a home, we'll be lowering the price so it will sell fast, but escrow may take 30 -60 days so we'll need a place to stay in the meantime.

I'll let you know what we thought of our trip after we get back next Tuesday. I just can't wait!

When do you go to northern Ca to look around? When will you be making a decision about moving?

California
Level Contributor
52 posts
45 reviews
42. Re: Mecklenberg County Schools

We have the same thoughts. We will be selling our home and on average, homes take around 65 days to sell. That's tough! If we end up moving to NC, I will go out there to start working and my wife will stay here until the house sells. Hopefully not too long!!

We will made a decision within one and a half weeks.

We will rent in NC until we find either the perfect house or the perfect piece of property to build on. Both great options.

CA
4 posts
43. Re: Mecklenberg County Schools

lovetegacaysc, I see you are formerly from S. CA. I am a native of N. CA and considering relocating to the Charlotte/Lake Norman area. Would appreciate your perspective about the primary differences. We have been researching the area for several months and made 2 very short trips with another planned in January.

southcarolina
Level Contributor
704 posts
22 reviews
44. Re: Mecklenberg County Schools

to MBH: well, I would have to say the biggest difference (as many seem to be finding out) are the price of homes here in the Carolina's (the property taxes are a little different as they don't have Prop. 13). The other things I notice...the beautiful 4 seasons (so what if I can't wear shorts 350 days of the year anymore...it's well worth it), the humidity (I really expected the worst and it never got as bad as I thought it was going to be...of course having the lake nearby, a/c and a different brand of hairspray probably helped some, medical care is better here in the Carolina's, groceries such as produce and meat seem to cost more here than in CA, people are nicer here than in CA, there is so much history all around, restaurants are better here...still on the hunt for a good fish taco though, if we want to go away for the weekend we don't have to fight traffic to and fro...those are probably the biggest ones for me...I hope that answered your question and that it helps some. For us our only regret has been...that we didn't move soooner. Best of luck with the decision process and if I can be of anymore help just let me know.

California
Level Contributor
52 posts
45 reviews
45. Re: Mecklenberg County Schools

Mussluv,

Here is a question for you. Do you have a home to sell before you move to NC? For us, it's going to be a potentially tough situation to be in. I would have to move out there to start working while my wife would stay here to work and sell the home. That may take months! We are looking at all of our options but there don't seem to be any answers. Ideally it would only take two months for it to sell and she could join me relatively quickly. What are you thinking of doing with the housing situation?

Tega Cay, South...
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
46. Re: Mecklenberg County Schools

Hi Traveling -

Yes we have a home here that needs to sell. The open house is this weekend and we've reduced the price by $20K, so I hope to see some activity on it! We have a few options that we are looking at. 1. go stated income on a loan and purchase a home in NC and move into it and have 2 mortgages until our home sells, then refi w/ the equity from our sale. 2. buy a home that's not built yet, and hope and pray our house here in CA sells before our home is complete and rent somewhere short-term. 3. my husband goes out before me, while I stay behind and sell the house, then I go out and we look for a home. Personally - I like option #1 the best. Sure its a few months of managing 2 mortgages, but at least we are in our new home, and together. We'll see how our house-hunting goes when we are in NC this weekend!

The problem I'm finding is that not many apts want to rent short-time, so we'd end up breaking our lease and spending more $$$ if we went that route.

There are a lot of things to consider, believe me - I know. All I'm sure about is that my husbands first day of work out there is 11/14, so that leaves us 3 weeks to make all these decisions!

Lovestega - if you by chance are reading this - can you recommend any movers since you did this move?

Natalie

California
Level Contributor
52 posts
45 reviews
47. Re: Mecklenberg County Schools

Natalie,

One of the main concers that I have about moving to North Carolina is the weather during summer months. Never having been there during the humid months, I can't say how bad it is. One of the couples we met while we were back there described the summers as oppressive. That's a pretty strong statement. Does this bother you at all?

Tega Cay, South...
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
48. Re: Mecklenberg County Schools

Traveling:

I'm not too worried about the summers. I did live in Virgina Beach for a while, so I know what humidity is like and it doesn't bother me too much. Frizzy hair, a little sweat - its fine by me. If you get hot you put the AC on, or go swimming. We go to the river (Lake Mojave) in the dead heat of summer where it's 120 in the shade and manage fine, so I think we won't mind the humidity. Plus there are thunderstorms - that's something us Californian's rarely experience!

California
Level Contributor
52 posts
45 reviews
49. Re: Mecklenberg County Schools

Natalie,

Are you back from your trip to NC? What did you think? Did you decide on Tega Cay or somewhere else?

You mentioned a while back that it was tough finding an apartment that would rent month to month. Did you end up finding any that do?

Tega Cay, South...
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
50. Re: Mecklenberg County Schools

Hi Traveling -

We got back last night. It was a GREAT trip! NC/SC is soo beautiful, although it was getting a little chilly yesterday as the clouds were moving in!

We drove all around the Fort Mill, SC area w/ our realtor and decided on Tega Cay as a place to live. Both us and my parents bought new construction houses in there. They will be ready in March. I'm totally excited, I've never had a new house before! The area is gorgeous, the people are nice and best of all the schools come highly rated. I did find an apartment and signed a 6 month lease. I rented a 3 bedroom for $895, and the leasing girl said 80% of the people who rent there are waiting for their houses to be built!!

I'm excited about moving out there, have you decided what you are going to do? I still have to decide on a moving company. I have my work cut out for me!!!

Natalie