We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tranporting your car/goods via mover/Car Transport companies

Which Huntersville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Terre Haute, Indiana
reviews: 10
Tranporting your car/goods via mover/Car Transport companies

Hello. Saw one subject on this but a couple of years old. We are planning a light move and one car next fall cross country and need info or your experience with transporting your car via an auto transport company or renting a carrier and truck (Penske, etc.) Here is our research so far:

1. Renting a truck from a place like Penske and transporting your own car behind on a carrier starts to add up when you get 6-10 miles/gal!

2. I will put in for a search and will contact AAA direct for some additional advice.

3. A website that seemed to be from AAA gave 10 tips and then sent me several quotes all ranging from about $830-1040 to pick up our car and load on those larger carriers and go from NY to AZ. We could go that route or try two other ways...

4. One: rent a Penske truck and auto carrier and we would need to hire two movers for loading and unloading. Without insurance and buying a special boxes, etc. will cost us about $3500 plus the gas. (breakdown is about $2500 for vehicles, about $893 for movers we need at start and finish. Gas at $3/gal and 6-10 miles per gal would be $673-1122. That would be about $4393 and for any special insurance if our auto insurance did not cover to make it closer to $4800.

5. Two: contract with a small mover company like Navis that will pick up our items in their smaller trucks and also handle the car carrier for us. We have not had an estimate yet for this solution.

6. Any help or advice or names that anyone can recommend is greatly appreciated!

NY
1. Re: Tranporting your car/goods via mover/Car Transport companies

ligh501,

The best feedback I can give you is to tell you to not just assume going with a large recognizable name like Penske because it is a large and recognizable name. For their service is not necessarily better than competitors, and, is commonly considerably more expensive.

One of the great things you can do at least to price shop is to go to auto shipping quote sites and find out if Penske really is where its at or perhaps overpriced.

I do not know the details of your trip but if you want to ship your goods at the same time it is usually recommended that you do not ship them in the car. Many auto transport companies will tell you this. This is for several reasons. First, the stuff inside is not covered by insurance and the auto shipping company is not liable for what may or may not happen to it. Second, whatever is in there will go through a lot of shaking and jostling that may not be good for them.

You may, depending on your specific situation of which I have no idea, want to read this blog post:

autoshippingforu.com/blog/post/Working-the-N…

I stumbled upon it the other day and it has good links and info, especially for your situation. And I know because I am currently in almost the same spot as you and understand fully.

Best of Luck!

East Brunswick, NJ
2. Re: Tranporting your car/goods via mover/Car Transport companies

I own and operate a website that allows you to find automobile shipping companies or to post your car shipment for car moving companies to bid upon. You can go to http://www.moversnshippers.com and search our directory of auto moving companies. If you would like to list your shipment in order to receive bids, click on 'post an auction'. We also have many Household Movers listed as well.

Thanks,

Michael Muscarella

Owner

MoversNShippers.com

3. Re: Tranporting your car/goods via mover/Car Transport companies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, September 27, 2009