Hello. Saw one subject on this but a couple of years old. We are planning a light move and one car next fall cross country and need info or your experience with transporting your car via an auto transport company or renting a carrier and truck (Penske, etc.) Here is our research so far:
1. Renting a truck from a place like Penske and transporting your own car behind on a carrier starts to add up when you get 6-10 miles/gal!
2. I will put in for a search and will contact AAA direct for some additional advice.
3. A website that seemed to be from AAA gave 10 tips and then sent me several quotes all ranging from about $830-1040 to pick up our car and load on those larger carriers and go from NY to AZ. We could go that route or try two other ways...
4. One: rent a Penske truck and auto carrier and we would need to hire two movers for loading and unloading. Without insurance and buying a special boxes, etc. will cost us about $3500 plus the gas. (breakdown is about $2500 for vehicles, about $893 for movers we need at start and finish. Gas at $3/gal and 6-10 miles per gal would be $673-1122. That would be about $4393 and for any special insurance if our auto insurance did not cover to make it closer to $4800.
5. Two: contract with a small mover company like Navis that will pick up our items in their smaller trucks and also handle the car carrier for us. We have not had an estimate yet for this solution.
6. Any help or advice or names that anyone can recommend is greatly appreciated!