We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Reunion in August '08

milwaukee
Family Reunion in August '08

I am planning a reunion for my family for this summer. There are 20 of us and we are from all over the US and range in age from 6-69. We would like to rent a large house on the ocean. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it uncomfortably hot in August? Are there things to do for a 'touristy' type family?

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
reviews: 22
1. Re: Family Reunion in August '08

Where are you thinking of staying? there are 70 miles of beach you have a lot to choose from but you will find beach front homes from Corolla to Hatteras Village if you more interested in touristy stuff I would look into the Nags Head area , more relaxing and less congested go farther south to Hatteras Frisco or Buxton.

August Weather can be hot but not always it is just something you need to deal with once you are here , This is also Hurricane season so keep that in mind although the Outer Backs has been safe the last 2 years

You might like this site too for New Comers

http://fishoinc.tripod.com/

NC
reviews: 11
2. Re: Family Reunion in August '08

fish oinc gave some very good info. If you want to try to keep the costs down I would look on Hatteras Island instead of in the Nags Head/Kitty Hawk area. Because of the touristy things, NH/KH is more expensive. Go about 30 minutes south to Rodanthe/Waves/Salvo area and you can find some very nice homes that will accomodate your needs at a better price. If you do want to go to NH/KH it will be a more reasonable drive. I personally love Buxton/Frisco area. Not much touristy things...just good people and fishing.

3. Re: Family Reunion in August '08

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 pm, September 12, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Hatteras Island