We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comin to check out Durham/possible move

Which Durham hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jupiter,Fl
Comin to check out Durham/possible move

Hi everyone. Ive loved all the shared feedback. I have lived in many places from NY, to GA, to CA and am currently in Florida, to name a few. I am in my mid 40's and finally looking to "settledown". Single woman in the Healing Arts profession- Holistic Health Practitioner/massage therapist.

Durham has caught my attention. I am definetely looking for a more liberal, cultural, hip, creative environment....with affordable homes.

Also looking for a good area to re-create my private practice or work under the umbrella of an existing "center".

I am coming to visit in the next week or two. I am looking for neighborhoods that are close enough to create business, but away from conjested traffic and noise. Also, how are the healthfood stores and restaurants in the area???

Any feedback, suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Durham, North...
1. Re: Comin to check out Durham/possible move

Durham is a compact community, so I think you'll have no trouble finding a neighborhood that is easily accessible to traffic but quiet enough for you.

Durham restaurants are amazing, over 300 of all kinds:

<http://www.durham-nc.com/visitor/places_eat/index.php>

As far as health food stores, the Durham Co-op Grocery and Whole Foods Market most notably come to mind, but there are about a dozen in the phonebook:

<http://www.durhamfoodcoop.org>

<http://www.wholefoods.com/stores/durham/>

Durham has been called the Diet Capital of the World, so there are healthy lifestyles here...

Cape Elizabeth...
reviews: 5
2. Re: Comin to check out Durham/possible move

Durham is one of the more inviting towns for people who enjoy the more diverse life style, IMHO. I've lived here for almost 18 years, in two different locations in each of the city and the county, and would never consider Raleigh, Cary or Chapel Hill. It's just more interesting here. When you're here, you might want to take a look at Trinity Park as a residential area. It's located adjacent to Duke's East Campus and, while it includes some of Durham's more tony homes, there is a wide range of prices and styles available, including fixups. Being so close to campus, there are rentals there as well - which is both a good thing and a bad thing. Trinity Park is quite close to Broad St where Whole Foods (mentioned above) and many professionals like yourself and small professional groups are located. It's also near 9th St, which is Durham's sort of one street version of Greenwich Village in NYC. You also can walk quite easily to Brightleaf Square, a renovated shopping area with great restaurants, and the traditional downtown. You also might consider the West Club Boulevard area, which is a little further away, but certainly walkable to 9th and Broad Sts. West Club also has nice walking in the community, as well as access to the city's municipal golf course (though they don't encourage walkers once golfers tee off!). Good luck.