We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time driving to Duck

Which Duck hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Braintree, Ma
reviews: 1
1st time driving to Duck

We're driving to Duck from Boston for the first time this August. Our rental is Saturday to Saturday, so we're planning on leaving Boston on Friday so we don't spend an entire day driving (We've done long road trips in the past and everyone ends up miserable!). Looking for suggestions of places to stop for the night on the way down. I'll be traveling with my husband and our two children, ages 9 and 11.

13 replies to this topic
Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
reviews: 22
1. Re: 1st time driving to Duck

There are 2 ways you might come , Most likely I would guess 95 and if that is true I would look to stay any where from Richmond Va on down to the Chesapeake area Great Bridge area is only a 2 hour or more to the Outer Banks.

Lots of places in the Williamsburg area too about 3 hrs from the Outer Banks.

Keep in mind that traffic is heavy going into the Outer Banks from about 11 am to 4 pm and going into Duck it doesn't get better so expect delays or come later in the day

richmond
reviews: 8
2. Re: 1st time driving to Duck

Look on www.obxconnection.com. It's a great message board.Someone just posted Mass driving directions.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
reviews: 59
3. Re: 1st time driving to Duck

I would recommend driving 95 to Rt 13/113 south through the Delmarva peninsula across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, then staying overnight in the Chesapeake Greenbrier exit area. There are malls, restaurants, hotels, and movie theatres.

From there it's a couple miles to the 168 south bypass.

Staying in VB is an option, although it will cost more for accommodations.

Norfolk, VA
reviews: 132
4. Re: 1st time driving to Duck

Your best bet is to come all the way to Chesapeake on Friday so you can get to Duck in the morning ahead of the traffic. The traffic will be spectacularly ugly from mid-morning onward, so you'll want an early start and early arrival. The drive is going to be long one way or another. You can choose a long day Friday where you are moving at highway speed, or you can choose a long day Saturday bumper to bumper at walking pace for multiple hours.

As far as the route to Chesapeake, the DE-1 toll road through northern Delaware to Dover and US-13 from Dover into southeastern Virginia is a worthwhile choice, since the Baltimore/Washington portion of I-95 on a Friday afternoon is worth avoiding.

Braintree, Ma
5. Re: 1st time driving to Duck

Thank you everyone!

Philadelphia...
6. Re: 1st time driving to Duck

Kristen - Mike's post above is the route that we have been using for 25 years from South East PA. I would emphasize to be on the island BEFORE 10:00 am. Depending on your rental agency, you may, or may not be able to get the keys, but at least you will be close. Another suggestion is to wait to do your weeks food shopping until very late Sat. evening (midnight if you can). the Food Lions both in Southern Shores and Corolla are open 24 hours, and the crowds are gone at that time. Have a wonderful time!

Duck, North Carolina
7. Re: 1st time driving to Duck

When in August? The first two weeks are very popular, but rentals drop off a lot the last two weeks as kids in most areas head back to school.

Braintree, Ma
8. Re: 1st time driving to Duck

August 16-23.

Chesapeake, Virginia
reviews: 146
9. Re: 1st time driving to Duck

Because of your August 16th arrival you will have just a LITTLE less traffic, but I fully agree with Lynn... make it as far as the Greenbrier section of Chesapeake and then get up to Duck as early as you can... the trip from the bridge to Duck (normally 20 minutes) can take as long as 2-3 hours in the height of traffic..... Our plan was to arrive early, hang out at the beach for 2-3 hours, have lunch (cool off in a restaurant) and by then our rental was ready....

Lexington, Kentucky
10. Re: 1st time driving to Duck

Driving in from Kentucky, so I'll have approx. 11 hours to get there, would it be better to plan on arriving say around dusk, 7:30-8:00 in the evening. The check in will already be taken care of so we can just go to our house

Reply to: 1st time driving to Duck
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted