We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wow what negativity

Which Duck hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
reviews: 3
wow what negativity

Such negative comments about the OBX experience! If we are trying to decrease visitors to obx then this forum is doing it. It makes me sad to read all this over and over when I have had nothing but 25 years of great rentals from Sun, Stan White, Twiddy and Southern Shores realty. Nothing is perfect.. home owners don't do their thing equally so I pick a difference rental the next year...unless I can win the lottery and build my own house.(A lot we had considered buying for $35,000 in 1985 just sold for over $500,000. Of course, we could barely afford our home mortgage in1985!) I am sorry for others less than positive experiences. To new visitors, please don't think every house is awful!

Laurel, MD
reviews: 16
11. Re: wow what negativity

I've been coming to the OBX since 1988 or so. Yes, some houses are better than others due to owners maintenance. But lately it sure seems like the price to value ratio just isn't worth it. To me, the rental companies should have standards and not represent properties that are filthy or in disrepair. And the cleaning crews should actually clean. To pay $6000 plus for a house that is dirty with old broken things just isn't worth it anymore. Yes, there are some good places, but it's too much of a gamble.

And the issues this year were just the icing on the cake. I feel worst for people whose insurance wouldn't pay but yet their house was inaccessible or uninhabitable and the owners / agencies wouldn't refund the money. Hard to believe and I'm sure there will be some lawsuits.

The negativity is understandable when the cost outweighs the value and your chances of getting a poorly maintained home are goo great.

There are other vacation areas where almost all the properties are nice and the rental companies hold their owners to a standard to protect their own reputation. And the cost is the same or less for what you get.

We're not going back to OBX again and renting a house. We'll take our vacation dollars elsewhere and if we do plan a short trip, give our dollars to hotels.

US
reviews: 70
12. Re: wow what negativity

Personally, BikeTraveler2, at $900 a night, I think you should choose to go someplace other than the Outer Banks also. The Outer Banks is v-e-r-y laid back and I'm pretty sure that very few people on the Outer Banks would be able--or even want-- to meet your expectations.

For that kind of money and attendant expectations, I would be looking at the Moorings Village and Spa in Islamorada, Florida

Edited: 7:43 pm, November 30, 2011
Stafford, Virginia
13. Re: wow what negativity

OK, how about some positive feedback. I received a check from CSA today for my loss of two days in the last week of Sept. I felt that I deserved some compensation and it actually looked like I was not going to get anything at all. Our stay in Avon was acceptable and we made the best of things considering the impact of the hurrecane. We enjoyed our trip and plan to return again. My expectations for the week was to relax and we did just that. Perfect place to do this.

Pittsburgh...
reviews: 57
14. Re: wow what negativity

You won't hear any negativity from me. My wife and I spent 4 days and 3 nights in Nags Head this past June and had an excellent and relaxing vacation. The Sea Foam Motel was a comfortable little place to crash and call home-base. The beach was beautiful and not crowded in the least. I have reviewed the Sea Foam as well as Owens Restaurant, Sam and Omies, Blue Moon Beach Grill and South Beach Grille, all with high marks and words of praise. I doubt I could be considered a "destination expert," but I'd be OK doing more hands-on research to become one.

15. Re: wow what negativity

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, December 17, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Duck