We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocean Sands?

Which Corolla hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Harrison, New Jersey
reviews: 15
Ocean Sands?

I am looking at a house in Ocean Sands Section A through Kitty Hawk Rentals(beach realty). It's called Sunset Place. It looks like it might be a tad far from the beach..it says its a short walk...Does anyone know this house? How far from the beach and how I get there?

What is Ocean Sands? The description says it's a narrower part of the island so it is less crowded? Is this true ?

We are former Topsail vacationers. We are trying OUter banks due to the kids. They need something more to do then just beach. But I don't really want over commercialized and crowded...Can I get this in Corolla? I heard about Timbuck II which sounds great..and I don't mind driving..

Thanks so much!!

MD
reviews: 17
1. Re: Ocean Sands?

Ocean Sands is a series of communities labelled by letters - A being the furtherest south through Q at the northern most. Nice area with homes in the 20-30 year old range, so they tend to not be overpriced McMansions and thus more reasonably priced. A is indeed a narrow area and thus less crowded on the beach - a definite plus. But it's also on the Sound side and at 375 yards from the beach, not eactly a short walk - the equivalent of almost 4 football fields long. While not horrible, it's not like there's parking at the beach, so you'd have to walk that or have one parent drive and drop off everyone along with the chairs, umbrella, cooler, etc.

What week are you targeting exactly. First week of August is firm? Does that mean July 30/31 - Aug 6/7? Or are you okay for the following week as well? Max price range would help. As would # of bedrooms and baths needed. We can help scour for places if you'd like.

Beach/Kitty Hak Realtors is good. Also check into Sun Realty, Kitty Dunes, and Brindley Beach.

MD
2. Re: Ocean Sands?

These are a bit closer . . .

www.beachrealtync.com/rental/house.html…

www.beachrealtync.com/rental/house.html…

Harrison, New Jersey
reviews: 15
3. Re: Ocean Sands?

Marylander..you have been awesome with info.... I didn't realize you there wasn't any parking! I know my husband isn't thrilled with a long walk and lugging all the stuff to the beach. I am targeting August 6th. It is firm . We will have 2 13 year olds, a 9 year old and a 6 year old. . I was kind of looking at 4 bedrooms. It is possible if we have an extra room..my sister and her hubby might come for a couple days. But that wasn't in stone.

The two 13 year olds would stay together and my 9 and 6 year old could be in a room together. I was looking at homes with pools. When we went to TI ..by the middle of the week my kids were tired of going down to the beach and getting beat up in the waves..that is why we are trying OUter Banks. I figured a pool would be great for them. I was looking for $3000 and under. Obviously the cheaper the better...but I don't want a dump either.

There are a couple places in The Hammocks in the Currituck Sound. I guess they have trolley service? Have you used this service before? Is it really annoying?

MD
4. Re: Ocean Sands?

Here are some comments on the Hammocks and using the Trolley - obxconnection.com/outer-banks-message-board/…

I've never stayed there. Apparently, they do have limited parking at that community at the beach, but it fills quickly. We just like staying oceanside. Rt 12 is very busy and crossing it to get to the beach would be a nightmare with 3 kids.

Lugging stuff to the beach can be a hassle all to itself no matter where you are. I tend to rent a beach cart with large inflated tires to haul the beach chairs, umbrella, towels, sand toys, cooler, etc. It really makes hauling very easy, but only til you get to the stairs that climb over the dune to the beach. then you can either try to haul the whole thing up and over, which I can manage with 16 year old son, or you can park it on the other side and just take several trips to bring things back and forth. Dunes at the Outer Banks are pretty high and the stairs can be quite narrow and tiring if you're lugging a lot. Definitely get my workout that way.

Let me look around a little more with that info and see if I can locate a few more options.

MD
5. Re: Ocean Sands?

I'd give this one a serious look - www.beachrealtync.com/rental/house.html…

60 yards to the beach! I know this community - it's nice. Has a lake with turtles and fish. Close to Tim Buck II and both grocery stores. View of the ocean and located where it won't be crowded at all on the beach. It doesn't have a private pool, but there is a community pool which can be nicer since they are larger and kids can find other friends to play with in the water.

Edited: 3:07 pm, April 25, 2011
MD
6. Re: Ocean Sands?

Here's a link to that same house from vrbo, with much better descriptions - http://www.vrbo.com/343495

MD
7. Re: Ocean Sands?

One more benefit that place has over most places, it rents Sunday to Sunday. You won't even be dealing with the majority of traffic problems on Saturday. Sunday is about 60% less traffic thatn Saturday rentals.

Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 5
8. Re: Ocean Sands?

Ocean Sands is a very large private beach community in Corolla We own a house in Sec. K, which is north of Sec. A, by several miles. I don't know the house you are talking about but the walks to the beach might be anywhere from a few minutes to 10 minutes. All the Ocean Sands houses are on the ocean side. Timbuck II is a shopping area a few miles north of Sec. A. I suggest that you get the address of the house from the realtor and look at the house with Google Map. Ocean Sands beaches are very good and wide. There are kids activities at the shopping centers: bumper cars, paddle boats, mini golf; at another center a few miles further is a skate park, the Whalehead Club with the Center for Wildlife, a lighthouse you can cllimb; free activities at the same location that you can do with a ranger (have to sign up early). There are wild horses in the off road area, which is driveable.

MD
9. Re: Ocean Sands?

Hi Jenne. Wasn't sure if you get emails from OBC forum or not, so I'll post this here because I know this generates an email letting you know I posted something.

Just got your message. Located another Whalehead option in a quieter section, about 300 ft closer to the beach, with 4 bedrooms, the same price, and a private pool.

www.brindleybeach.com/book/house.html…

I'd vote for a place like this over SS anytime. the beach in Whalehead is so much nicer, you and your kids will love it.

North Canton, Ohio
reviews: 3
10. Re: Ocean Sands?

Stayed at Ocean Hill, (a different community) once two years ago in a house called Seaglass Cottage. It is with Kitty Dunes Realty. It is dog friendly. Our dog loved it She comes with us to the obx every year.We are staying there again June 2011. It is quite with house especially for me my husband and two kids ( ages 4 and 9) and VERY clean. FIVE bedrooms and a pool and hot tub..The dining room table is large for your family. The kitchen is nice sized and very open to the dining room and living area. You can actually eat in the upperstairs nook and view the Corolla lighthouse all day. It is neat at night. The owner actually called us and stated he and his wife repainted the whole place this year and redecorated. It looked great 2 years ago-those are the pics you will see online! Ocean Hill has a community (attended pool, tennis courts, a work out facilty for a little extra and a swingset, and for your teenagers a basketball court. The community pool is completely visible from the deck about a 100 yards away. The sound is right there where you literally can feed the huge turtles a loaf of old bread. The ice cream truck came everynight. The beach access to 4x4 is left from the house about 1mile down the road-oh so close. If you don,t have 4x4 beach access is right near the lighthouse 1 mile the other way. I know you said the houses are big but for this price for the house you get and the location you can't beat it. Your kids may like the other amenities too especially meeting others at the community pool. The house is on a cul de sac-no one to the left of it and on the right a local with a beautiful home who stays there all year. By the way being so close to the comm poo,l tennis courts , brand new bike path right out of the alottment it is a quiet community. ps corolla pizza right down the road delivers and has the best pizza and subs-its right by the lighthouse. Hope this helps. From Canton Ohio- Home of the Pro Football Hall of Fame

Edited: 10:41 am, June 02, 2011