We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's to do in Charlotte?

Which Charlotte hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bellevue, Washington
What's to do in Charlotte?

We will have a few hours to hang around Charlotte before we catch our plane in the evening (7PM) flight. We plan to arrive around 1pm. What should we do for a few hours? What are some good restaurants to eat at for a family of 5 (3 teenagers)? We're on a budget. We don't want to be too far away from the airport. Thanks for any suggestions that you can provide.

NC
reviews: 10
1. Re: What's to do in Charlotte?

I would recommend staying at the airport. You'll start boarding around 6:00 or so and going off site will put you in rush hour traffic and the hassle of going back though security. There's nothing of any consequence near the airport...no restaurants worth the hassle. Eat there, find one of the rocking chairs near the window.... watch people, watch a movie, etc....

Charlotte, North...
reviews: 88
2. Re: What's to do in Charlotte?

If you land on time, you'll be ready to catch a bus uptown by no later than 1:30 (costs about $2.00). If you take a cab it will cost about $25 one way. You could visit the EpiCenter (restaurants, bowling, movies) or the NASCAR Hall of Fame, or one of the art, history, or science museums uptown. Just plan to be back at the airport by 5:00 or 5:30 at the latest for a domestic flight. by 4:00 for an international one.

Bellevue, Washington
3. Re: What's to do in Charlotte?

We will be leaving Charleston for our 7:00pm flight from Charlotte. Do you have any suggestions of stops that we can make on the way to the airport? What time do you think we should enter the Charlotte area? I don't want to get stuck in traffic and miss our flight. We will need to drop off our rental car. Thanks for the NASCAR hall of Fame tip. My son may enjoy that.

southcarolina
reviews: 23
4. Re: What's to do in Charlotte?

If what you are saying is that you will be in Charlotte by 1pm but don't have to catch your flight until 7pm then I'll offer up the suggestion to check out the U.S. National Whitewater Center.

It is located about 8 miles from the airport, it cost $5 to park/enter and it will give you and the family a chance to stretch your legs after your drive from Charleston, and then on to your flight back to WA. Hike around the center and see the sites, then if anyone wants to experience a little bit more of the whitewater center you can purchase a Quick Pass.

Their is a restaurant on the premises that is very good but if you are on a budget you might what to check out the prices first.

If you don't want to eat at the center there is always a Cracker Barrel near by (in fact it would be right off of I85 and the exit you would take to get back to the airport)

http://usnwc.org/

usnwc.org/visit-us/passes/quicksport-pass/

usnwc.org/play/…2013_Menu_Winter.pdf

http://www.crackerbarrel.com/

Now if you don't have that much time (and if anybody in the family is into aircraft) you can check out the Carolinas Aviation Museum which is just down the road from the airport (Miracle on the Hudson) otherwise I'd suggest just hanging out at the airport like others have said.

http://www.carolinasaviation.org/

Enjoy your time in the Carolina's!

Charlotte NC
reviews: 57
5. Re: What's to do in Charlotte?

Off I-77 at the South Carolina/North Carolina border at the Carowinds exit is the Plaza Fiesta. It's a Latin American oriented mall with a really good authentic, inexpensive Mexican restaurant called La Poblanita.

Not far from there in an office park in North Carolina you'll find Metalmorphasis - a big giant chrome head sculpture. It usually spins but it's recently had some work and I'm not sure if it's fixed yet or not. It's worth a few minutes for goofy pictures and it's free!

The Whitewater Center and the Carolinas Aviation Museum are also good ideas. You can read about them other ideas from my blog posts at journeysbyjill.com Have a great trip!

6. Re: What's to do in Charlotte?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 02, 2014