We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking For A Getaway

Which Charlotte hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 93
Looking For A Getaway

Can anyone give me suggestions for a weekend getaway out of Charlotte area. Looking for nature and water within 2 hour drive. Thanks NC'ers!

Charlotte, NC
reviews: 159
1. Re: Looking For A Getaway

Mountains? Lake swimming?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g49022-i291-k49679…

Andrew Jackson Park - very close to

Charlotte.. tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g54307-d29…

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g49022-d65…

My choice would be:

www.stateparks.com/morrow_mountain.html

MORROW MOUNTAIN STATE PARK

Charlotte
reviews: 7
2. Re: Looking For A Getaway

Lake Lure & Chimney Rock.

US
reviews: 70
3. Re: Looking For A Getaway

Blowing Rock, North Carolina is two hours away and it a lovely small town in the mountains.

Another option is Asheville, North Carolina, a wonderful city. It is 2 hours and 15 minutes from Charlotte.

You would have easy access to the Blue Rige Parkway from both places. The Blue Ridge Parkway from Asheville to Blowing Rock is a beautiful drive.

Lake James is less than 2 hours away from Charlotte. It's a gorgeous lake. They have a new swimming are that looks great. I am looking forward to seeing that myself--I wasn't crazy about the location of the previous one.

…blogspot.com/2011/08/new-lake-james-swim-ar…

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g49387-d32…

You might also want to check out the U.S. National Whitewater Center in Charlotte itself!

http://usnwc.org/

Chapel Hill, North...
reviews: 13
4. Re: Looking For A Getaway

You could get to the beach in 3.5 hrs if you wanted to stretch your time.

Mts are a great suggestion, though.

Concord, North...
reviews: 39
5. Re: Looking For A Getaway

Good suggestions. Good day trips are White Water Rafting center and Yadkin Valley to visit vineyards.

Charlotte, North...
reviews: 11
6. Re: Looking For A Getaway

Not sure if you like hiking, but hiking at Crowders Mountain State Park is wonderful. There is rock climbing, picnicking, sight seeing, bird watching, you name it, you have it. There is also a lake near the park's office for your water pleasure. This park has great scenery, especially during the fall when the leaves are turning. You will most certainly enjoy it.

www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/crmo/main.php

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 93
7. Re: Looking For A Getaway

Thanks for all of the great ideas!

8. Re: Looking For A Getaway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, August 21, 2013