We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Only in town for 5 hours

Which Charlotte hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Only in town for 5 hours

Im looking for an area that i can walk around for a few hours. Where is the best areas for seeing the city? what streets?

Charlotte, North...
reviews: 88
1. Re: Only in town for 5 hours

Charlote is not all that walker friendly. The airport is on the westside of the city. You would need to take a shuttle bus to get to center city (some call it 'uptown', but I think of it as downtown). There are quite a few good museums - several art (the Bechtler, the Mint, Gantt, and others), science (Discovery Place) and history (Levine Museum of the New South). There is also the Nascar Hall of Fame. Also uptown is the Epicenter- with restaurants, movie theatres, and bowling and shops.

Just be sure that you allow plenty of time to get back to the airport and get through security. Though the line USUSALLY move quickly, they can back up.

NC
reviews: 1
2. Re: Only in town for 5 hours

The Billy Graham Library and museum is near the airport - short cab ride just down the road. Admission is free. It has lovely grounds for walking...you can tour the museum and his childhood home, and have a bite to eat:

http://www.billygrahamlibrary.org/

This is probably the closest venue to the airport as far as an attraction. I agree there are not areas that are walker's destinations in Charlotte. Oh - there's Freedom Park, and some nice neighborhoods, and a couple of malls - that's about it. Uptown has already been covered- but I think you might be frustrated trying to see museums with such short time to get back in time to go through security for your flight. Best wishes.

Charlotte
reviews: 7
3. Re: Only in town for 5 hours

Uptown - Tryon Street.

Charlotte, NC
reviews: 159
4. Re: Only in town for 5 hours

Take a taxi or Sprinter bus to downtown (called Uptown). That would allow you to walk around, check out the Epicentre, Levine Museum of the New South. /The security lines are long these days, allow extra time....@ the airport

Edited: 12:29 pm, July 23, 2012
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 93
5. Re: Only in town for 5 hours

Missed my plane last week because of the lines. I left myself an hour.

Wilmington, North...
reviews: 54
6. Re: Only in town for 5 hours

Five hours is not much time for CLT...grab a rocker and enjoy the people in the terminal.

Charlotte, North...
reviews: 11
7. Re: Only in town for 5 hours

Yep, I agree with Keepthosebags, there is really nothing to do with 5 hours, especially on a layover. Billy Graham Library is about the closest thing to the airport.

8. Re: Only in town for 5 hours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 12, 2013