We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do during long airport layover?

Which Charlotte hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mobile, AL
reviews: 3
What to do during long airport layover?

We are a family of 5 with 3 older teens. We have a 7 hour layover in Charlotte before an international flight. Any suggestions on what to do to pass the time?

Charlotte, NC
reviews: 159
1. Re: What to do during long airport layover?

Take the Sprint Bus or a Taxi to downtown (here called Uptown). Lunch @ Brixx or other places, Nascar Hall of Fame, Bechtler, Discovery Place, Levine Museum of the New South - suggestions only; you can't do all, so perhaps Nascar Hall of Fame (especially if the teens are boys...7 hrs layover = really about 4.5 hrs to spare...1 museum + 1 restaurant + walk through the downtown before heading back..

www.nascarhall.com

bechtler.org/Visit/Levine-center-for-the-arts

bechtler.org/Visit/Levine-center-for-the-arts

http://brixxpizza.com/charlotte-nc

charmeck.org/city/…sprinter.aspx

Edited: 8:36 am, June 02, 2012
Charlotte, NC
reviews: 159
2. Re: What to do during long airport layover?

Here is the link to Discovery place (instead of 2 for Bechtler above)

http://www.discoveryplace.org/

Mobile, AL
reviews: 3
3. Re: What to do during long airport layover?

Update: Our layover was more like 8 hours. Our family looked at going to the U.S. National Whitewater Center or to Carowinds amusement park. Both were a short 15 minute drive from the airport. My family voted for the amusement park (I wanted to do zip line at the Whitewater Center).

We rented a car for $40 and we at the park just as it was opening. Since it was a Sat. it was crowded. The park has nice roller coasters but the workers don't try to load and unload very quickly so the lines move slowly. It's not Disney! My kids and husband were frustrated that they could not ride very many because the rides kept getting closed for adjustments. The tickets were about $55 ea and if we have bought them online ahead of time we could have saved $10 each. We had no problem getting back to the airport on time and all agreed it was a lot more fun that sitting at the airport.

Since the Whitewater Center offers tickets that are per ride/experience or for a full day, we would have been better off doing that. I was disappointed that my family chose the amusement park but it all worked out.

4. Re: What to do during long airport layover?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 22, 2013