We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

charlotte or Raleigh for family with 21 yr old son

Which Charlotte hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
dayton
reviews: 1
charlotte or Raleigh for family with 21 yr old son

son on spring break and we are just looking for 3 night 4 day fun get away..we llike golfing( son and I ) shopping (wife) for daytime fun and at night we like live music, mictrobrews, sports bars and fun casual places..We are traveling Tues-Sat of this upcoming week and Help would be great!

North Carolina
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
reviews: 55
1. Re: charlotte or Raleigh for family with 21 yr old son

Check out the forum post from February 23 'Two days in Charlotte - what to see local Southern culture' for some specifics on music, sights and nightlife. You could also see a Charlotte Checkers hockey game (the arena is downtown, which is called 'Uptown'). There are lots of golf courses in the area. Also the National Whitewater Center. Southpark Mall and Northlake Mall are great for shopping. Sorry I can't be more specific - we live about an hour north of Charlotte and don't get down there for sports (we head to the mountains).

Spent a long weekend in Raleigh last November with our 2 granddaughters. They were into shopping, which there is no shortage of in the Raleigh area. We also went hiking at Eno River State Park and Ulmstead State Park. Went to the North Carolina Capitol, North Carolina Museum of History and the Art Museum (which has a fabulous outdoor sculpture garden). Also went to a Carolina Hurricanes hockey game (they are on the road next weekend). From Raleigh, you could also drive to the coast - I believe Wilmington is the closest beach area. Don't know if any of these things interest you or your family, but I felt that someone from North Carolina should try to reply to your questions.

Saw that you are also looking at Chattanooga and Knoxville. Love Chattanooga!

dayton
reviews: 1
2. Re: charlotte or Raleigh for family with 21 yr old son

thank you very much for your info..yes we are looking at Knoxville and Chatanooga also. We have been to all of the normal spots like Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach, Savannah, Columbia and Greenville and was just thinking about somewhere different.

If we went to Charlotte or Raleigh what area of each city would you suggest? Thanks Again!

Charlotte, NC
reviews: 159
3. Re: charlotte or Raleigh for family with 21 yr old son

Charlotte Shopping - hotels close to Concord Mills or University

Otherwise Southpark - more upscale mall, Residence Inn might be great as they have 1 & 2 bed suites..

Other shopping, great for restaurants, etc. Ballantyne, Staybridge is good; not far: Carolina Place Mall & other shopping areas (Centrum, Carolina Pavillion) Short Park & Ride to I-485 Lynx to get to Uptown...

More to do - stay in downtown (Uptown), take a Lynx to Carolina Pavillion; not upscale, but Kohls & other stores...

CIAA tournament is over (most hotels were fully booked then), so no problems in finding a good hotel.

My choicd would be Ballantyne - as you could park your car @ I-485 last stop to Lynx (free parking) and visit all Uptown places....

21 year olds like: Actors Theatre, NoDa, Music Factory, Spirit Sq, theatres, sport events. Good Brixx Pizza, Epicentre, etc. If you stayed in Uptown - could drive to the malls, as well..

Edited: 11:30 am, March 04, 2012
Charlotte, North...
reviews: 88
4. Re: charlotte or Raleigh for family with 21 yr old son

Check out the Hilton Garden Inn and Hampton Uptown. They are across the street from the NASCAR Hall of Fame and sometimes you can get package deals with tickets for the hall and time at the Richard Petty Driving Experience (you actually get to drive on the Charlotte Race track). Lots of golfing options, including Quail Hollow Country Clu,bPine Island Club, and others- and good to very good municipal courses, too. Epicenter has lots of restaurants, good nightlife stuff, movies, bowling, etc. Lots of excellent museums uptown,too- art and science and history. You could go to Latta Plantation, Hezikiah Alexander House, Reed's Gold Mine, and lots of other places all withi a reasonable drive. Uptown is only a 2-30 min. drive from lots of malls- Northlake, Southpark, Concord MIlls, Carolina Place, etc. In Gaston County (about a 15-20 miin. drive) is Daniel Stowe Botanical Gardens and lots of fish camp restaurants, plus Rodi- a great American-Mediterain grill. Uptown also has the Blumethal Performing Arts center- not certain but I think the musical "Jersy Boys" is playing there next week.

5. Re: charlotte or Raleigh for family with 21 yr old son

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 pm, June 18, 2013