We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety?

Which Charlotte hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
reviews: 5
Safety?

We are considering stopping in Charlotte while on a road trip this spring. We know absolutely nothing about Charlotte, NC. Is it a relatively safe city? Are there areas to walk around at night? We are from Philly, so we understand that all cities have areas that are better than others.Thank you for your input.

Edited: 7:19 am, March 03, 2012
Charlotte, NC
reviews: 159
1. Re: Safety?

You are fine with normal precautions anywhere in Charlotte. Still, the area I would avoid @ night is West Charlotte & Sugar Creek Area. Most people stay in downtown (here called Uptown), but with a car, you have a choice. Probably staying in Ballantyne (Staybridge=good, see TA), then drive & park your car @ end of I-485 end & take a Lynx train (kind of above ground Metro) to "Uptown"....

If you book 14 dys in adv., then discount @ Staybridge:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g49022-d223373-…

A loft - discount for 2nd night (uptown)

Best discounted (on Lunx line) - Best Western Sterling - call direct Mon-Fri & ask for Manager's special - if your budget is tight..

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g49022-d94199-R…

(check booking.com to find the lowest price; then "offer" slightly lower rate by calling direct...) It seems to work 85% of the time, unless it is a Race w/end or other event. When are you coming?

Check all Free or almost Free.. in Charlotte; we had a great feedback on this thread; still getting feedback on Metalmorphosis, Polk Museum, & others...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g49022-i291-k38873…

Charlotte, North...
reviews: 88
2. Re: Safety?

Uptown is a great area. With in a few blocks you have Epicenter with lots of restaurants, nightlife, movies, bowling, etc- very popbular, The Levine Museum of the New South, the new brach of the Mint Museum, the Harvey Gant museum, Discovery Place (science), and several others I can't think of right now as well as the home of the Bobcats (professional basketball team). Within driving distance you have Latta Plantation, Hezikiah Alexander House, Reed's Gold Mine, Daniel Stowe Botanical Gardens, the botanical gardens at UNCC, and other great destinations. And don't forget the NASCAR Hall of Fame - oh and the Whitewater Center.

North Carolina
reviews: 13
3. Re: Safety?

Yes I feel very safe here- I would stay in Southpark, Westin Uptown, and I've had friends stay at Hampton Inn uptown on MLK near the statium if you're wanting to feel like you're close to the action but with a lower cost.

NC
reviews: 1
4. Re: Safety?

Charlotte has the crime of any city its size. Be alert and aware.

5. Re: Safety?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:41 am, June 18, 2013