We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is Customs at the airport?

Which Charlotte hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Massachusetts
reviews: 2
How is Customs at the airport?

Looking at flying through Charlotte on the way home from Grand Cayman. Is 1 hour and 50 minutes enough time to clear customs and make our connection to Hartford? I've only re-entered the States in Miami and that was a nightmare!! It's either this or a 3 1/2 hours layover and I really don't want to do that if I don't have to. We are looking at a United flight and planning on having no checked bags...just carryon. I saw another post asking a similar question but I didn't know if the airline and having just carryon bags would make a difference. Any info would be appreciated.

Edited: 8:19 pm, January 26, 2012
Charlotte, NC
reviews: 159
1. Re: How is Customs at the airport?

Possible, unless the flight is early afternoon when US Airways & Lufthansa flights arrive in Charlotte. Cary on bags only --makes no difference. It's the Immigration that has lines.... What time is your flight to & then from CLT?

I guess you saw this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g49022-i291-k48187…

BTW - post 2? is wrong as far as security - you do not need to clear that...once you are inside the terminal, no more security - unless you get out of the airport..

Edited: 10:56 am, January 27, 2012
Charlotte, NC
2. Re: How is Customs at the airport?

Sorry meant to say: Possible, unless the flight is early afternoon when US Airways & Lufthansa flights arrive in Charlotte from Europe (Munich, London, Frankfurt)

Massachusetts
reviews: 2
3. Re: How is Customs at the airport?

If we went through CLT we would get in at 6:19 with a departure at 8:10 (of course assuming we are on time. We could book at 10:07 connection instead but that's such a long layover if we don't need it. Another question though...you mentioned that the previous post was not correct with reagard to security. In Miami we had to clear immigration, claim our bags, then drop off our bags at our connection and wait in line to go through security again (have our carry-ons checked, shoes off, etc). Is this not the case on CLT? Having to get our bags, drop them off and go through security again ate up a HUGE amount of our time. Thanks.

Charlotte, NC
4. Re: How is Customs at the airport?

This link might help you to understand. Basically, just 1 terminal with concourses A to E. security just at the entrance....

As long as both flights are on the same ticket, same reservation, in the event you would miss the flight, the airline will put you on the second flight.

ifly.com/charlotte-douglas-international-air…

ifly.com/charlotte-douglas-international-air…

Edited: 7:56 pm, January 29, 2012
Parkton, Maryland
reviews: 33
5. Re: How is Customs at the airport?

OMG The worst! We had a two hour window between flights. We had to go through customs and then get to the next flight. We barely made it by running the whole way through the terminal. Customs was very backed up. Clearly not enough customs agents even though there was an agent at each booth. Since customs was backed up they rushed everyone through and did not do any checking of luggage. Since they ran us thorough so fast, I forgot to discard some oranges that I had brought from Mexico. After I got through customs and was going through the TSA section, I realized that I had the forbidden oranges. I asked the TSA staff for to discard them for me. The TSA agent said that he was not customs and that since customs had not taken them away from me I should just carry them along to my next flight. However the TSA people in Charlotte were a bit odd too. The Charlotte TSA were the only TSA staff that insisted that I take out all of my tiny insulin vials so that they could inspect them. After I started to pull out a bunch of insulin vials, he saw all of my diabetes equipment and got worried that he might get a needle stick if he inspected them so he told me that I could go through without removing all of my insulin equipment.

Midwest
reviews: 13
6. Re: How is Customs at the airport?

Just went through Charlotte airport from St Maarten. Long lines through Immigration, Customs was waving us through. Then you still have to go through normal TSA screening like you do for for a domestic flight checkin. When you book international flights online the websites don't take this into account. I would allow at least two hour layover minimum to clear back into US at Charlotte.

7. Re: How is Customs at the airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, March 27, 2014