We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from NY to Charlotte

Which Charlotte hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 4
Driving from NY to Charlotte

What would be some places to stop between our drive from NY to Charlotte to break up the trip and sight see? We don't mind travelling a little from our route and taking a few days to get there.

US
reviews: 70
1. Re: Driving from NY to Charlotte

Also consider posting in the Road Trip Forum if you are looking for suggestions between NYC and Virginia.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

You might want to mention the types of things you like to see so people can better help you. Have fun planning your trip!

Winston-Salem, NC
reviews: 32
2. Re: Driving from NY to Charlotte

There are basically 2 main travel route arteries to consider: the easterly route down I-95 connecting to I-85, or the westerly route taking I-81 to I-77. Though there are a number of interesting sites along the 95 route as well, I would suggest taking the westerly route down (I-81 to I-77) to Charlotte and exploring the Shenandoah Valley area of western Virginia along the way.

There are numerous historical sights of interest along that route (New Market Battlefield, Harpers Ferry, Monticello, etc.) as well as scenic stops (Luray Caverns, Blue Ridge Parkway, etc.), and the drive itself can be quite scenic along many stretches. The westerly route will also take you through the wine-producing areas of northwestern NC and southwestern VA-if you're an oenophile there are a wealth of wineries offering tours and tastings in those areas.

Granted, the easterly route has DC as a stopping option, which offers a wealth of sightseeing opportunities in itself. Colonial Williamsburg is also not far off the easterly route down. Once you split off of 95 onto 85 in southeast VA though, there aren't many more good sightseeing options before reaching Charlotte, other than a few urban sights of interest in Durham and Greensboro.

Charlotte, NC
reviews: 159
3. Re: Driving from NY to Charlotte

Richmond:

www.visitrichmondva.com/Explore…

It would help us to know what your interests are & which way you would travel..

We usually stop there or a side-trip to Williamsburg on our way to DC & NYC...

http://www.visitwilliamsburg.com/index.aspx

New York City, New...
reviews: 4
4. Re: Driving from NY to Charlotte

I think we will drive I-81 to I-77 there and maybe the other way home. Our interests are sight seeing in general, shopping, flea markets, pretty scenery, tasty places to eat, If we are going to be near wineries, that would be nice also. I am open to any suggestions also about what towns we might consider to stay over near any of the above that have nice and comfortable lodging.

Thank you for your suggestions.

US
reviews: 70
5. Re: Driving from NY to Charlotte

Driving on I77, you will be very close to the North Carolina wine country. Google Yadkin Valley AVA and Swan Creek AVA.

One of the most convenient (and very nice!) wineries is the Shelton Vineyards.

http://www.sheltonvineyards.com/

They have a informative tour, wine tasting and a very good restaurant there.

Make sure and check their event schedule, too.

A Hampton Inn is close by but I can't comment on it since I have not personally stayed there.

http://www.sheltonvineyards.com/?shelton=41

Here are the TA reviews:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g49084-d6502…

Have a great trip!

6. Re: Driving from NY to Charlotte

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 pm, October 07, 2012