We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Houston to NYC (advice needed)

Which Charlotte hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston
From Houston to NYC (advice needed)

Hi all,

I am flirting w/the idea of relocating from Houston to NYC. After searching the net looking for info on relocating to NY all I've found is info on folks moving FROM NY. Ummm, does this mean I should get a clue (lol)? Anyway, I'm heavily into the arts and would like to persue a career in an arts related field and Houston is definitely not the place. I've visited NY often and have always wanted to give NY a try. After years of putting it on the back burner, I'm finally thinking of making it a reality.

I'd like to hear from any NYers who can give me some advice on whether or not this is a wise decision. What would I have to look forward to in terms of getting adjusted, etc?

Thanks,

Ivygirl

Nassau County, New...
1. Re: From Houston to NYC (advice needed)

It is true, many NYers are leaving, but you have to understand why though. I am looking to move Nassau County, NY to NC for a better life. I have a husband and a child - here we live in a teeny-tiny cape, we both work full-time, hardly see each other, have to send our son to private school, etc., etc. We need to upgrade our home at this time and it will cost us about $600,000 for what we need. That means I will not be able to be a stay at home mom which is what we want at this time. ...and with at mortgage of about $2,700+ a month, how are we to save for college, vacation, retirement, etc. We are moving because we can sell our house here and buy something for cash down in NC and have a lot of flexable financial freedom, I can stay home, etc. Now mine is just one small example, and I didn't even get into the nitty gritty of the whole move thing. Now for you, you sound like you are in a whole different ball park than us. If you have the opportunity to come and live here... I say do it. There is nothing like NY. I go to museums all the time and have done most of them more than 2 twice+. The theatre and the arts are the best here! There is nothing like the MOMA and Broadway... and the beaches - Montauk, the Hamptons, etc.!!! I will miss that about NY, but look forward to explring all my new state will have to offer - it should prob. keep me busy the resto f my life and it is not that expensive to fly up and I can stay with family anytime. So like I said, for us we are doing it for one reason and others do it for another, you have to follow you heart and follow you dreams, if you don't go to NY and you want to... you will prob. regret it for the rest of your life. I would not have trading living here for all the money in the world!!!!

New York
2. Re: From Houston to NYC (advice needed)

I am a native NYr, been here all my life. I agree with the previous post. People relocate for different reasons. My husband and I are in our late 30's w/2 small children and considering a move to Charlotte. We are tired of working so hard and having so little to show for it. The type of home we want we could never afford in NY. We get paid quite well here but it all seems to get sucked up by the economy. Now having said that, I know I will truly miss the city. No place like it. I've enjoyed all the city has to offer, especially theater and the arts. The vibrancy of the city is second to none. There's always something going on. On any given day, you can catch a play on Broadway or free in the park, check out an exhibit at the fabulous museums, concerts, cultural landmarks, fantastic food, beaches and amusement parks, zoos, free movies in the park, lots of street fairs during the summer and of course the ethnic diversity of different cultures makes it a very interesting and exciting place to live. You say you've visited often so I am sure you've probably checked out The Village and Soho, two of our most popular artist communities. Houston is nice and the people are friendly. However, if you are seeking a career then I would suggest NY, especially if you don't mind the fickled weather, fast pace, rushing to go nowhere attitude we seem to have here. Don't be discouraged by people leaving, it might be for reasons totally different than you might think. At one time, people were leaving NY because of the crime. Now the crime rates are very low here, but high in the south! So balance everything in terms of what's important to you. Speak to people who actually live here. I know quite a few who have relocated here from the south. Most of them love it, complain about the tiny apartments but few leave. I should also note that most are also in their early 30's and single. It might appear to be glamorous (and many times it is). For example, I left home this morning and they were filming "Law and Order" on my block and in Bryant Park (by my job) there is a free concert. Stuff like this is the norm here and what I will miss. However, there are also quite a few struggling artists on the streets of NY so make sure you can afford it. If you were married w/kids I don't think I would recommend it. You'll never know unless you try right??? Good luck and best wishes.

New York
3. Re: From Houston to NYC (advice needed)

I am a native NYr, been here all my life. I agree with the previous post. People relocate for different reasons. My husband and I are in our late 30's w/2 small children and considering a move to Charlotte. We are tired of working so hard and having so little to show for it. The type of home we want we could never afford in NY. We get paid quite well here but it all seems to get sucked up by the economy. Now having said that, I know I will truly miss the city. No place like it. I've enjoyed all the city has to offer, especially theater and the arts. The vibrancy of the city is second to none. There's always something going on. On any given day, you can catch a play on Broadway or free in the park, check out an exhibit at the fabulous museums, concerts, cultural landmarks, fantastic food, beaches and amusement parks, zoos, free movies in the park, lots of street fairs during the summer and of course the ethnic diversity of different cultures makes it a very interesting and exciting place to live. You say you've visited often so I am sure you've probably checked out The Village and Soho, two of our most popular artist communities. Houston is nice and the people are friendly. However, if you are seeking a career then I would suggest NY, especially if you don't mind the fickled weather, fast pace, rushing to go nowhere attitude we seem to have here. Don't be discouraged by people leaving, it might be for reasons totally different than you might think. At one time, people were leaving NY because of the crime. Now the crime rates are very low here, but high in the south! So balance everything in terms of what's important to you. Speak to people who actually live here. I know quite a few who have relocated here from the south. Most of them love it, complain about the tiny apartments but few leave. I should also note that most are also in their early 30's and single. It might appear to be glamorous (and many times it is). For example, I left home this morning and they were filming "Law and Order" on my block and in Bryant Park (by my job) there is a free concert. Stuff like this is the norm here and what I will miss. However, there are also quite a few struggling artists on the streets of NY so make sure you can afford it. If you were married w/kids I don't think I would recommend it. You'll never know unless you try right??? Good luck and best wishes.

Nassau County, New...
4. Re: From Houston to NYC (advice needed)

I agree with Brooklyn dream as well, we are both thinking on the same page... especially the part about your money being sucked up by the economy! Now if you decide to look at the costs of aparement living here, you will see that it is very expensive, but you should not let that discourage you. Since you are in the "arts" field, NY offers many specialy programs to struggling artists who do not make much money. In most new and renovated buildings in Manahattan, especially in the higher numbered streets you can find a deal. My maid-of-honor, a struggling actress, was able apply to for this special program here in NY for low income struggling artist - ya know one job, tons of classes to pay for, etc. You fill out an application, enclose all of your finanical information (taxes, bank receipts, etc.) and then you are evaluated and most of the times interviewed to be accepted into this "program". What the "program" does is let you pay rent according to what your income is. My maid-of-honor pays $550 a month for a great apartment on 92nd street. Everything was brand new when she got in. Granted, it is one room (like a livingroom/bedroom), but it has a totaly separate kitchen and total seperate bathroom. You have to submitt you taxes to them every year and when they saw she made a little more money they raised her rent by $25.00 a month, but that is still a deal since the people up one floor from her who have the same living space are paying $2,200 a month!!! To top it off her building is very "schwanky" and has a doorman 24/7 that would not even let me up the first time I visited because a) they needed prior notice of my arrival and b) they announce you when you do get there!