We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay and best hikes for photography?

Which Brevard hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
reviews: 2
Where to stay and best hikes for photography?

I'm hoping to visit this area in June (ending with the Roan Mountain Rhododendrons), and hope to do some amazing hikes. I'm getting into photography, and would love to know the best hikes for seeing and photographing waterfalls, mountain vistas, etc. We also love little shops, galleries, etc. Since I've never been to this part of NC before, I'm not sure where to start.....

Is it best to stay in the Brevard area for a central location? My husband also found an Inn in the Spruce Pine area that looks like it's on the way to the Jane Bald area we'll be going as well. I also need something pet-friendly, since we're bringing our Golden along.

Any advice or recommendations would be great! Thanks!!!

9 replies to this topic
North Carolina
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
reviews: 55
1. Re: Where to stay and best hikes for photography?

For photographing waterfalls, Brevard is a better location than Spruce Pine. If you want some ideas about waterfalls and hikes in the area, you can check out www.romanticasheville.com Our favorite hiking for mountain vistas in that section of the state are near the Graveyard Fields overlook on the Blue Ridge Parkway. The hike north on the Art Loeb Trail (I think on the 'Top 50 Hikes' it is called Black Balsam Knob) has amazing views in all directions. That trail continues on to Tennant Mountain (also great views), Ivestor Gap and Shining Rock. Great views all the way.

Another lovely spot is Max Patch Bald. That's a little far from Brevard, but worth a detour if you are heading in that direction afterwards.

Brevard has little shops and galleries. Can't help with the pet-friendly accommodations issue - so sorry.

Edited: 11:36 am, May 31, 2013
Maryland
reviews: 36
2. Re: Where to stay and best hikes for photography?

Brevard and Transylvania County are renowned for the waterfalls. But if you can split your trip, I would spend a couple of nights up around Spruce Pine. It's lovely and quite different and more remote.

Johnson City...
reviews: 8
3. Re: Where to stay and best hikes for photography?

Nolachuckey Bluffs/Greeneville TN ie the Log Cabin is wonderful place to stay it is pet friendly and they do not charge an extra fee. Your Goldie will love it. The Log Cabin overlooks the Nolachuckey River and wonderful mountains in the background. The first time I stepped out on to the bluffs I was overtaken by it's beauty. The other pet friendly cabin is the Dogwood but I like the Log Cabin better.

The Bluffs are about a hour drive to Hot Springs NC and Max Patch Bald.

Atlanta
4. Re: Where to stay and best hikes for photography?

I agree stay near Brevard. A good book to buy is North Carolina Waterfalls by Kevin Adams. It gives directions and pictures of all the waterfalls.

Virginia
reviews: 2
5. Re: Where to stay and best hikes for photography?

Actually, my husband bought it for me as a surprise! Great book!

Atlanta
6. Re: Where to stay and best hikes for photography?

It is a very good book. I would also buy a DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer of North Carolina. You can order one from Amazon or Walmart will have them.

Don't miss Whitewater, Looking Glass, or Courthouse Falls. They are the 3 waterfalls that I tell people to see.

Johnson City...
reviews: 8
7. Re: Where to stay and best hikes for photography?

Addendum to my prevoious post...I reflected on this as we were driving HWY 75/25 to Weaverville NC this past Saturday. Margarette Falls Greene County/Camp Creek Community. Detailed and easy to follow directions in the Log Cabin information book. It is a s/w strenuous hike but beautiful. We also like to count how many fly fisherman we will see along the way we stopped counting at about 30....this was most we have ever seen....we think they must have just restocked the streams. Once you get to Roan Mtn. and haven't seen enough waterfalls there is Elk Creek Falls/Elk Park NC...short easy access which makes it popular.

Birmingham, Alabama
reviews: 64
8. Re: Where to stay and best hikes for photography?

I will be coming in a few weeks to visit daughter who is a camp counselor- bringing her dog and staying at the Rodeway Inn- ugh.. only pet friendly hotel I could find.... Looking forward to a hike with the pup- does he need to be on a leash? plan to look at that site- where is Spruce Pine?

Maryland
reviews: 36
9. Re: Where to stay and best hikes for photography?

It is in Mitchell County, NC.

A leash is always a good idea where other people are involved.

Reply to: Where to stay and best hikes for photography?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted