We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What area is the best to stay in Boone?

Which Boone hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte, North...
reviews: 58
What area is the best to stay in Boone?

Okay we are looking to head to Boone for the weekend and I need some guidance on the best area to stay for us. We have two kids under 4 and thinking of bringing our dog just for weekend trip to get to learn the area of Boone. We would like to be near lake or pond to swim or fish is this possible? Want to stay not to far up the mountain but have nice view. Close to things to do. I have been looking at cabins/houses but have no idea on the areas.

If you can share your expertise on the area! Whether streets/roads or where to stay and not to stay.

Thanks!

Chapel Hill, North...
reviews: 14
1. Re: What area is the best to stay in Boone?

Can you give us an idea of where the areas that the rentals you have looked at are? Do the listings give you a neighborhood or anything? Boone isn't that big and generally rentals will advertise if they have a view or not as it's a big selling point.

The first lake that springs to mind is Bass Lake in Blowing Rock. It's not a swimming lake and I can't recall if you can fish there or not. I think most of the fishing in the area is fishing for trout in the streams and rivers. The rivers, like the Watauga, are a great place to get wet and cool off, too. There are several tubing outfitters in the area that will fix you up to go tubing down the river.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
reviews: 26
2. Re: What area is the best to stay in Boone?

For fishing and family-friendly swimming you might want to look out Hwy 105 from Boone. Banner Elk has Wildcat Lake good for swimming and there are several fishing holes out that way. (also a Trout Farm) Valle Crucis is a beautiful little community out Hwy.105 that also has fishing holes and tubing. You'll find vacation rental homes on VRBO and also through reality/rental companies in the area. Here's some info. on the swimming and fishing areas I mentioned; the info just happens to be on a reality company's website....good info. but I've never rented through this company, so can't recommend.. www.aandwrentals.com/fishing_swimming.htm

My kids have enjoyed Grandfather Mountain since they were very young; it's located near hwy. 105. http://grandfather.com/ Another place my kids have always enjoyed is Mast General Store in Valle Crucis. They've always loved the old-fashioned toys, etc. and all the candy at the Mast Annex. vallecrucis.com/sites-to-see/… For more family fun, you'll also find Gem Mining and a putt-putt course out hwy.105 from Boone.

Chattanooga...
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Smoky Mountains
reviews: 83
3. Re: What area is the best to stay in Boone?

It sounds like you are describing Blowing Rock, more than Boone. Boone is the "market center" and home of Appalachian State University. Blowing Rock, is a quaint mountain village surrounded by natural beauty, many activities and interesting sights. The area does offer fishing in trout farms, gem mining, Tweetsie Railroad, playgrounds, wading in streams, good family restaurants and more. You might to also check Chetola Resort in Blowing Rock. They offer many amenities for a family.

www.blueridgeparkway.org

www.grandfather.com

www.mastgeneralstore.com

www.southernhighlandguild.org

www.tweetsie.com

www.visitboonenc.com

www.mountainsofnc.com

www.blowingrock.com

Linville Falls and Gorge

Grandfather Mountain

Linn Cove Viaduct

Various sites on the Blue Ridge Parkway

www.vallecrucis.com

Boonecabins.com

Blowing Rock vacation rentals

Washington...
reviews: 4
4. Re: What area is the best to stay in Boone?

I just left Boone on July 5, 2012. My husband and I stayed in Beulah Land Cabins. We stayed in Beulah's Cabin. Cabin was spotless. Three bedrooms 2 baths. We each had our own bath and that was just great. Check them out!!!!!

Edited: 3:33 pm, July 12, 2012
NC
reviews: 13
5. Re: What area is the best to stay in Boone?

I like staying in Echota. It is located btwn Boone and Banner Elk, very close to Valle Cruis and GF mountain.

6. Re: What area is the best to stay in Boone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, July 16, 2013