We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabin and snow

Which Blowing Rock hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, FL
reviews: 2
Cabin and snow

My wife and I are thinking about putting a deposit down on a cabin near the Linville caverns with a view of Humpback Mountain. They are described as being directly of the Blue Ridge Parkway. We're planning on being there the week of Feb 11th. Being from Florida and never having even seen snow, I'm worried that I may not be able to get to the cabin. What are the chances that the snow will be so bad, at this time of the year, that we wouldn't be able to get to the cabin? Am I worrying for nothing? We'll be in a front wheel drive only Ford Edge. Thanks for any information.

Chattanooga...
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Smoky Mountains
reviews: 52
1. Re: Cabin and snow

I wish I could help you with information about the cabin. There are SO many rental properties in the area, it is impossible to be familiar with many of them.

It has been a mild winter so far, except for a few weeks here and there. The area was blanketed with 5-6 inches of snow last week. But, there is alot of winter to come in the mountains.

The county is good about keeping the roads cleared. They are used to that.

If the weather becomes a factor, you could be delayed, along with everyone else!

Take your time, enjoy, settle in if you have bad weather and enjoy. It is a beautiful area.

raysweather.com

Edited: 6:09 pm, January 21, 2013
Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
reviews: 27
2. Re: Cabin and snow

Well, as mentioned, so far this year there hasn 't been much snow, but that could change anytime. Northern NC mountains got a few inches last week and are expecting more this weekend....but before that they've have had a lot of mild weather this winter.

As far as the location of the cabin you are considering, Linville Caverns is about an hour from Blowing Rock. It's impossible to know how remote a specific cabin is out that way without an address; but in that area, it's very possible that it's very remote. Also, note that many times the Blue Ridge Parkway is closed during winter months; if there is snow and/or ice in the area, the parkway will be closed. You'd need to depend on other roads at that time.

IMHO, during winter months I'd find a cabin nearer Boone, Blowing Rock, or near the ski slopes in Banner Elk. The roads in more populated areas and/or near ski resorts are plowed/treated first and passable except in most extreme storms. There's also much more to do/places to eat in those areas.

Best Wishes!

3. Re: Cabin and snow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 23, 2014