We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Take out lunch for ferry

Which Beaufort hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland, Ohio
reviews: 6
Take out lunch for ferry

We will be staying at the Inlet Inn in Beaufort at the end of May and taking the 11:30 am Cedar Island ferry to Okracoke the next day. Is there any place we can pick up sandwiches to eat on the ferry ride or should we depend on the vending machines on the ferry? Or is it better to have a quick late lunch someplace in Okracoke before heading to the Hatteras ferry? We are staying on Hatteras for the night. It is just the two of us, no kids. Thanks for any suggestions.

9 replies to this topic
Chapel Hill, North...
reviews: 14
1. Re: Take out lunch for ferry

I'd probably plan to eat in Ocracoke. You'll have a lot of great options there that would be better than most take-out and certainly better than what they have on the ferry. Maybe have a nice big breakfast in Beaufort around 9:30 or 10 and that should hold you until you get to Ocracoke. Beaufort and Ocracoke both have great restaurants.

Remember you need to get to the ferry terminal by 11 for the 11:30 or they can give your reservations away.

Cleveland, Ohio
2. Re: Take out lunch for ferry

Thanks, panchopup for the reminder about the ferry. Definitely don't want to miss the boat. This travel day with the two ferry rides will be the most stressful day of an otherwise very relaxing laid back vacation for us. So you suggest eating a nice breakfast in Beaufort before the hour (?) drive to Cedar Island and eating lunch in Okracoke. Any suggestions for a relatively quick lunch there? I will have to check out the restaurant section on TA .

Chapel Hill, North...
3. Re: Take out lunch for ferry

Do you have reservations for the ferry? You should make them if you want to guarantee your spot on the 11:30. Go to http://www.ncdot.gov/ferry/ .

Don't rush through Ocracoke. It's probably one of the most unique places on the NC coast. The Hatteras ferry runs on the half hour until about midnight, so no need to zoom up Hwy 12. No reservations needed for the Hatteras ferry either, although it can fill up, but if that happens you just wait for the next one.

As for restaurants, I think TA has a good listing. Dajio always gets great reviews.

Edited: 11:47 pm, May 11, 2014
Chapel Hill, North...
4. Re: Take out lunch for ferry

Just wanted to add, that you might want to bring snacks on the ferry, or even do your take-out lunch since you've got 2.5 hrs on the ferry, but I just think the meal experience would be better in Ocracoke and Beaufort.

Have you seen these?

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g49407-c163960/Ocraco…

http://www.carolinaouterbanks.com/ferrys4.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8HGcYJpaBQ

Edited: 12:07 am, May 12, 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
5. Re: Take out lunch for ferry

Loved the links you sent. Of course, I spent the rest of the afternoon looking at YouTube videos.

Yes, I have made ferry reservations for 11:30. I think we will look for a deli carryout in Beaufort before we leave. If not, we will enjoy a lunch at Okracoke. Dajio looks good. I always like to have at least one restaurant in mind.

Thanks for all your help

north carolina
6. Re: Take out lunch for ferry

Will be close to 1;30 before you land in Ocracoke. There is a place to sit down and eat in Beaufort (at 2nd light as coming over draw bridge from Morehead City) is expensive IMO but only choice. There is also a McDonalds, Burger King and Dunkin Doughnuts just as you leave Beaufort. The Piggley Wiggly as you leave town has to go breakfast plates and there is a convenience store in Otway where you can get pretty good biscuits or plates to go (Outer Island Convenience store). I'd give myself at least and hour (maybe a bit more especially if stopping for eats and snacks) as there are 2 bridges with delays in Otway and Davis down east.

Cleveland, Ohio
7. Re: Take out lunch for ferry

Thanks for the suggestions benforpeace. We are leaning toward picking up deli sandwiches to go at Taylor's Creek Grocery in Beaufort to eat on the ferry. Have you ever been there? We do get a light continental breakfast at the Inlet Inn but definitely not big enough to hold us to dinner.

north carolina
8. Re: Take out lunch for ferry

The ferry usually takes 1:45 when wind is from the south (usual this time of year) or 2:15 if wind is from north so a late lunch on the island is possible. As the previous poster says options are way better there. A deli sandwich or snacks for the ferry may tide you over, there is also a food lion just east of Beaufort where you can get some sandwiches and snacks. Also you can get some crackers or chips to feed the gulls for the ride over :) Happy travels, B

Cleveland, Ohio
9. Re: Take out lunch for ferry

With a faster crossing, lunch on the island sounds more appealing now than a take out deli sandwich. Thanks ben for the response.

Reply to: Take out lunch for ferry
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted