We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lalita's Guesthouse Horrible Experience

Which Woodstock hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
reviews: 16
Lalita's Guesthouse Horrible Experience

Everything started out well enough. We had reservations for two nights and the day before arrival I received a nice e-mail from Linda the owner wishing us a safe arrival. We arrived at the rental and were immediately appalled by the smell of the place…. old and musty. This is an older home with many layers of paint and what appears to be flea market furnishings.

We came with food, planning to cook during our stay. However, there were two major issues. One, there is a bug repellant device plugged into the outlet to the left of the kitchen sink; and secondly, the photo and listing states that there is a microwave and there is not one in the rental. Wanting to make it a positive and make a memorable vacation experience we remained positive that day.

That night we slept in the front bedroom and our son slept in the back bedroom. The next morning my husband woke up early and went fly fishing. When my son and I woke up, we noticed that we had bug bites to the ankle, back, stomach. I inspected the beds and could not find traces of bed bugs, but did find huge dust bunnies under the bed.

My husband returned around noon and we discussed leaving because of the horrible experience at this rental. I contacted our next destination and thank goodness they were able to accommodate our arrival a day earlier than expected.

Upon leaving, I emailed Linda and explained the situation as politely as possible, sent her pictures of the bug bites and asked that she consider providing a refund of one nights rental, which I felt was more than reasonable. Linda argued that they were mosquitos bites and that she was unhappy about the note my 12 year old left in the guest book. I should also mention that during our stay of less than 24 hours we had 3 separate visitors approach the rental, one of which Linda had brought to view the adjacent rental. Linda knocked on the door to introduce herself, which was a little shocking since she seemed a little unstable and had grass in her hair.

This property is misrepresented in it’s amenities, is furnished with flea market furniture, has an odor and also an issue with bugs in the kitchen and beds. The owner, Linda, promised to provide a refund of one night’s rental but as of today that still has not been received.

I am sure that there are decent places to stay in Woodstock, NY. Unfortunately, this is not one of them and travelers should be aware when booking.

14 replies to this topic
Maine
reviews: 21
1. Re: Lalita's Guesthouse Horrible Experience

Thank goodness you made it out safely!!

NewYork
reviews: 18
2. Re: Lalita's Guesthouse Horrible Experience

Wow. I'm glad that I came across this. I was about to book here for the end of sept. Did she refund your money yet?

connecticut
reviews: 4
3. Re: Lalita's Guesthouse Horrible Experience

I have a house in Woodstock almost next door to Lalita's. On more than one occasion I have had friends stay there, and they have always had great times. When I have seen the place, the furnishings are funky and stylish. There are lots of mosquitoes in Woodstock - folks not used to the country sometimes get a little freaked out and imagine bedbugs - never heard of them up here, anywhere.

Woodstock, New York
4. Re: Lalita's Guesthouse Horrible Experience

I am sorry you had an unpleasant experience at Lalita’s. I take the comfort and happiness of my guests very seriously, and value any feedback I receive. This commitment to providing a delightful experience for my guests has resulted in 19 out of 19 five star reviews on homeaway.com (www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p913337) and a 4.5 start rating on airbnb (https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/537217).

The furnishings are exactly as depicted in the website photos – in fact, the guesthouse was recently booked for a photo shoot for Nylon magazine. Lalita’s has a retro, stylish flair, very much in keeping with the quirky artistic flavor of Woodstock. I also have documentation from Craig Thomas Pest control that there are no bed beds or anything of the kind.

Lalita’s is set on a lovely wooded road, in between two streams and waterfalls. In rural locations such as these, with running water nearby, there are often mosquitos (not bedbugs). And in rural locations when doing gardening and chores, one sometimes winds up with a twig or blade of grass in their hair. Like many beautiful historic houses in charming rural towns, once in a while a mouse tries to have a free stay – thus the gadget plugged in in the kitchen which discourages them (not a bug repellant).

I will certainly take your feedback to heart, and I wish you many calm and peaceful journeys in the future.

Edited: 10:32 pm, September 18, 2013
reviews: 1
5. Re: Lalita's Guesthouse Horrible Experience

I am a Woodstock resident and have known Linda for many years. I have also seen the Guest house and would not hesitate to book friends and family there. Further, the personal comments you made about Linda are absurd and untrue.

Dallas, Texas
6. Re: Lalita's Guesthouse Horrible Experience

No, she has not.

Dallas, Texas
7. Re: Lalita's Guesthouse Horrible Experience

No, she has not refunded the one night she promised. It is also concerning that she contacted Homeaway when I let her know about my complaint. Because she is a paying customer to Homeaway, they have refused to post my review.

Maine
8. Re: Lalita's Guesthouse Horrible Experience

I don't know, but perhaps not liking the décor (even when photos are available), a missing microwave, mosquito bites, and grass in the owner's hair are not seen as deserving of the passion of your complaint.

You specifically said that after what was no doubt an exhaustive search, you "could not find traces of bedbugs," or any other pests of any sort whatsoever, anywhere in the house, except dust bunnies under the bed (which likely pose little threat to guests).

Unfortunate for all involved, I expect, but does not warrant a refund from my perspective.

Albany
reviews: 71
9. Re: Lalita's Guesthouse Horrible Experience

last I knew trip advisor was meant for a person's own experience. It is not meant to be for people that happen to don't like what the person's experience was. No one has the right to comment on what they think that experience was - unless you were there to personally experience it. I value trip advisor for people's honest opinion not for people to just "be nice". If that was the case then we would all not benefit from this site. Read the comment and then decide for yourself if you would like to visit the venue and gather your own opinions.

Maine
10. Re: Lalita's Guesthouse Horrible Experience

I agree that people should freely share their experiences. It is a discussion board, though, where various perspectives can be shared on a given post/event. Some threads are quite long with discussion of the original post. I don't know why Homeaway didn't post the review and may not even agree with their policy if I knew it, but was presenting a possibility. It is also true that the title and length of the original complaint seem to me to be more than was warranted by the facts presented, and I don't think it's inappropriate to voice that, just like I would do in a personal conversation if someone was going off on something, beyond what seemed reasonable. I'm sure at this point both parties wish the event had never occurred.

Reply to: Lalita's Guesthouse Horrible Experience
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted