We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exmouth in June 2013

Which Exmouth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 2
Exmouth in June 2013

Hi everyone. Just wondering if anyone can give us tips. Couple staying seven nights in Exmouth and very keen snorkelers. Would like to know of any snorkel spots that we can get to without having to book a tour? Also of any amazing snorkeling spots that we definitely should do while we are there? Also any nice, quiet beaches nearby.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
reviews: 266
1. Re: Exmouth in June 2013

Turquoise Bay in Cape Range National Park is a primo spot for snorkeling - all you need is a car - it's 60 km from Exmouth.

westernaustralia.com/en/…9009989

Exmouth isn't known for it's beaches (near town anyway), but 152 km south you'll find Coral Bay, and more world class snorkeling.

Edited: 11:46 pm, March 05, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 2
2. Re: Exmouth in June 2013

Thanks Melnq8,

Any snorkeling spots closer than Coral Bay. Do you think a day trip to Coral Bay is possible?

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
3. Re: Exmouth in June 2013

Turquoise Bay is much closer to Exmouth than Coral Bay. Coral Bay is 152 km south, long way for a day trip, but certainly possible - it takes about two hours each way.

Check this out for other options:

exmouthwa.com.au/pages/…

reviews: 23
4. Re: Exmouth in June 2013

Turquoise Bay is an easy place to jump in the water and get up close and personal with the fish. Look for the beach to be pretty crowded, but there are also other beaches in the National Park. There are also other snorkeling spots in the Park, just pull over at each stop and check it out. If you're staying in Exmouth thats your best option for day trips. And its true the beaches aren't all that impressive around the town of Exmouth. The Ningaloo reef is exceptional snorkeling and if you guys are scuba certified the pier dive in Exmouth is awesome.

Safe travels

Abe and Autumn

www.asquaredadventures.com

Luton
reviews: 43
5. Re: Exmouth in June 2013

Just returned from just 3 nights in Exmouth. Spent first day in Coral Bay, it did take one hour forty minutes each way on a very boring road but worth it. Try hiring a board or kayak from far end of beach to take you out further. I snorkelled direct from beach which was good enough for a first timer. The second day we did an organised tour to swim with whale sharks and snorkel the reef which I can't praise enough (Ningaloo Blue) but it was pricey. Turquoise bay USB supposed to be the bests for snorkelling but watch the current.

Enjoy!

Perth, Australia
reviews: 19
6. Re: Exmouth in June 2013

Have just come back from a short trip to Exmouth. You will not be short of snorkel spots that's for sure!

Info on Ningaloo is not that easy to find, but have a look at a map - you'll see that the town is a bit east of the Cape Range National Park and Ningaloo. i can't find a map of the actual park which shows the different dive spots - perhaps email dec and ask for a pdf copy? .http://121.50.208.46/exmouth/ningmap.pdf

You can stay in town, or you can stay closer to the park - there is the lighthouse Caravan Park on the northern penninsula, and Yardie Homestead caravan park (we stayed there for a few nights) which is very close to the entrance to the national park. Alternatively you can also stay in the park itself.

We loved oyster stacks and lakeside for snorkelling, though you need to dive oyster stacks around high tide.

Brisbane
reviews: 3
7. Re: Exmouth in June 2013

I'll be in Exmouth/Coral Bay next week for a few days and am looking for some snorkelling travel advice too.

Below is a tentative plan (accommodation, car hire, whale shark tour is booked) but I'm wondering if I can fit in a trip to Torquoise Bay anywhere.

Day 1: Fly in to Exmouth and collect hire car 1pm. Drive to Coral Bay and maybe do some DIY afternoon snorkelling. Stay overnight in Coral Bay.

Day 2: Maybe an all day snorkel tour in Coral Bay. Drive back to Exmouth. Stay overnight in Exmouth.

Day 3: All day whale shark tour. Stay overnight in Exmouth.

Day 4: Return car rental to airport by 1pm and 1:45pm flight departure.

Is it correct that to get from Torquoise Bay to Coral Bay via sealed roads I have to travel through Exmouth? Should I go to Torquoise Bay on afternoon of Day 1 for a quick stop before back tracking to get to Coral Bay that night? I'm driving solo so don't really want to be on the road for long periods.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
8. Re: Exmouth in June 2013

Yes, you have to travel through Exmouth - Turquoise Bay is around the tip of the cape from Exmouth - you drive through town and then up around the North West Cape to reach the west side - that's where you'll find Turquoise Bay, in Cape Range Nat'l Park. You can't get there from Coral Bay on the backside, at least not in a 2WD car. I've seen the start of this track from Yardie Creek - it literally starts in the creek.

From Exmouth the road to Turquoise Bay is paved.

Learmonth Airport is 36 km south of Exmouth. The drive to Turquoise Bay from town will take another 60-90 minutes.

Days are short right now, it's getting dark around 5:30, but looks like your best chance for visiting Turquoise Bay might be on your day of arrival or very early on the day of your departure.

Brisbane
reviews: 3
9. Re: Exmouth in June 2013

Thanks yeah I saw Yardies Creek Road on Google Maps and it looked like it went through some pretty obvious waterholes haha. Will see how I'm doing for time on my day of arrival. Thanks again.

Exmouth, Western...
10. Re: Exmouth in June 2013

Sorry I didn't see this sooner:

Have a look at ningalooatlas.org/2013/…

Also Oyster Stacks is just south of Turquoise Bay and is well worth a look but not on a low tide.

To see more images of Ningaloo above and below the surface:

www.flickr.com/photos/ningalooatlas/sets/

Nick Middleton

Scientific Editor

Ningaloo Atlas

http://ningaloo-atlas.org.au/

http://ningalooatlas.org/

ph 08 9949 1805

mob 0437 619 456