We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay at Coral Bay or Exmouth

Which Exmouth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Stay at Coral Bay or Exmouth

hi, our family of 3 adults, are planning 6 nights in this area early Dec. We love snorkeling, renting kayaks and want to do a couple of scuba dives. We prefer to snorkel close to our hotel, ie walk to a snorkeling beach. So, which is the better location: Coral Bay or Exmouth. Turquoise Bay looks good too, but I thought that was not near anything really, so would do that as a day trip. Comments anyone and thanks! wejeth

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
reviews: 275
1. Re: Stay at Coral Bay or Exmouth

Based on your interests, Coral Bay would be a good fit. You can just wander from your accommodation down to the water and jump in.

Exmouth presents a few more challenges. It's about 152 km north of Coral Bay and it's considerably more difficult to get to the reef.

Turquoise Bay is located in Cape Grange National Park, which is a 45-60 minute drive from Exmouth. It's beautiful, but out in the sticks, literally.

Washington DC...
reviews: 230
2. Re: Stay at Coral Bay or Exmouth

If you want to walk out the door to the beach and snorkel, then Coral Bay.

If you spend a night or 2 in Exmouth, the Novotel is lovely. Nice beach and great pool, but not snorkelign right there. It's a good base for some of the dive trips like Muiron Islands and Navy Pier.

Highworth, United...
reviews: 97
3. Re: Stay at Coral Bay or Exmouth

I would definitely opt for Coral Bay without a doubt with it's resident Lion fish and his territory under the boat moored on the beach and the shark nursery along the bay. It's a stunning location, very relaxed and has great shallow snorkelling straight from the shore (though I still get the horrors when I think of the shark that swam right under me - the same length as me in 6tf deep water!) We spend 5-6 days there, then drove from Coral Bay, via Exmouth and around to the Cape Ranges NP on the final day before returning to Exmouth for the night. It's a very long way and we left it too late to get back, having to return in half light along with the roos etc - not good. But the boat trip at the end of the road down the gorge (can't remember the name now) was beautiful, typical outback and I'm so glad we made the effort (it's tidal so you need to know the timings). We visited Torquoise Bay in the afternoon and ended up finding a beautiful turtle to swim with - which is what made us late!

Hope that helps.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
reviews: 275
4. Re: Stay at Coral Bay or Exmouth

<But the boat trip at the end of the road down the gorge (can't remember the name now>

Yardie Creek.

Exmouth
reviews: 1
5. Re: Stay at Coral Bay or Exmouth

Hi I am Axel and owner of the Best Western Sea Breeze Resort in Exmouth, so

my opinion is maybe a bit biast! ;-))

Walking out of your accommodation straight on the beach and snorkel is Coral Bays biggest seller! You will love it! Amazing snorkelling straight off the beach and the diving is great too! The Manta Ray Tour is a MUST DO!

However, there are a couple of things I personally don;t like and please this is my personal opinion based on a number of visits. The prices are much higher then in Exmouth for less service and product! It is all "cramped" in one little bay and it gets very busy very quickly! Around the pub the noise could be an issue and especially before Christmas when Coral Bay explodes with people it is crazy! Fun when you are young and want to party and go mad.

If you are looking for nature pure, enjoy an endless beach for yourself and want to get away form the rat race then Exmouth offers you a great alternative and much more value for your money. Diving the Pier is a MUST DO in Exmouth and you will have similar if not better snorkel spots, caves and more to choose from in Exmouth. One factor may be the safety aspect too as Exmouth has a hospital, Coral Bay only a nursing post. Depending on your health situation, that is maybe worth considering too! Anyhow, which ever spot you choose or both, you will have a great time.

I hope this helps.

Kind and sunny regards

Axel

I hope that helps.

6. Re: Stay at Coral Bay or Exmouth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, May 21, 2011