We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Co's visiting Cape Range NP, Yardie Creek, Torquoise bay etc

Which Exmouth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Highworth, United...
reviews: 97
Co's visiting Cape Range NP, Yardie Creek, Torquoise bay etc

We're already booked into Ningaloo Reef Resort, Coral Bay at the beginning of April 09 (can't wait - cold, wet n windy in Wiltshire today!). We want to visit the Nat Park, Yardie Creek etc for a day trip (or poss over nighter) but have been advised by the hotel it makes sense to do this from Exmouth before we fly out because it's a lot closer and we'll spend a lot less time driving.

Has anyone done a similar trip? Any tips or advice would be welcome please. We have a nine and 12 year old so need something 'child friendly' but for fairly well-travelled children (so aren't looking for anything too tame!)

Also, can anyone advise how early day trips leave Exmouth? We want to stay in Coral Bay as long as poss and wondered if we could drive up early in the morning, do a day trip, stay just one night in Exmouth afterwards, then fly back to Perth the next day? Or are we pushing our luck??!!

Many thanks. Sarah

Highworth, United...
11. Re: Co's visiting Cape Range NP, Yardie Creek, Torquoise bay etc

Hi Talisker

Thanks for coming back to me on this one and you sound like you had a great time - I'm so glad we made the decision to change the flights to stay up here a bit longer.

We've now decided that we'll definitely be hiring a car, so baring in mind that we are planning warden-led wildlife tours on Kangaroo Island the previous week, do you reckon we could cover the same on our own? We can certainly do the boat trip, and can reach the light house with bitumen roads, and I'm adding up four lots of fees for a tour that we may well not need at all (that would go a long way towards the car hire!) If the wildlife extras were the real bonus for you, then maybe I can forget about it? We can do the scenery ourselves. The big worry is that we leave the day before everything books solid because of the school hols and have to do the tour one day ahead of that, so will need to book ahead with a tour company to make sure we don't miss out and are then committed (to a 7am start too!)

Thanks for the advise and can't wait to see it for myself. Sarah

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 21
12. Re: Co's visiting Cape Range NP, Yardie Creek, Torquoise bay etc

Hi again Sarah

You will have no problem doing the sights yourself by hire car, and you will have the flexibility to stop off at whatever beach takes your fancy, when you want to. The roads are OK, just watch out for roos, emus etc whilst driving. We were there at Easter, and it wasn't very busy. Make sure you have plenty of fuel and water, and take a picnic, as the park is a long way from town.

You would be best to find out the times of the Yardie Creek boat trips, and check out if you need to book in advance.

The reef is very close to shore, so if you snorkel, make sure you take your gear.

Have a great time.

PS - if you are stopping off in Exmouth, Whalers restaurant is very good.

Highworth, United...
13. Re: Co's visiting Cape Range NP, Yardie Creek, Torquoise bay etc

I've got there at last - you've answered everything with this reply and with everybody elses tips we're all set! Thanks for the restaurant info too - I wasn't looking forward to my last evening in the area, so now we just need to find a bed an we're sorted. Like the idea of seeing an emu walking down the road but not if I'm on foot - have always found them a bit scary in wildlife parks and don't fancy seeing one eye to eye! Many thanks - Sarah.

Highworth, United...
14. Re: Co's visiting Cape Range NP, Yardie Creek, Torquoise bay etc

Hi Talisker - just one more question then I'll leave you alone, promise! I've just been reading your 'cyclone' thread (I hadn't realised it was cyclone season either until I read it!) Anyway hope the weather was kind to you on your trip! You mentioned that you would be writing your trip up in the WA forum - I'd like to read your trip report but haven't worked out where to look. Can you point me in the right direction please. Thanks a lot. Sarah

Edinburgh, United...
15. Re: Co's visiting Cape Range NP, Yardie Creek, Torquoise bay etc

No probs Sarah - pleased to be of help. Unfortunately, after writing a lengthy trip report I managed to delete it, and haven't had the time to do it again. If there is any further info you want, don't hesitate to ask.

We stayed in the Osprey Village holiday apartments across the road from the Potshot Hotel. The first morning, I opened the blinds to find an emu staring in!

The weather was in the 40s when we were there, and no signs of cyclones, though I believe there was a lot of rain the following week. Too hot to do much, but it was avery relaxing start to our holiday.

If your visit coincides with Good Friday, be warned that all bars and bottle shops are closed for the day, so plan in advance if you want something alcoholic to drink!

Exmouth, Australia
16. Re: Co's visiting Cape Range NP, Yardie Creek, Torquoise bay etc

We have just had a family holiday in Exmouth and did a "Top of the Range Safari" with Ningaloo Safari Tours. It was a great day out and we saw every thing there was in the Cape Range National park in one day: Canyons, Yardie Creek, Turquoise Bay, off road 4WD the guide Kim was fantastic had lived in Exmouth most of his life and had an unbelievable knowledge about the area and particularly the local flora. It picked up at 7.30am and dropped off at 6.30 it is a big day but well worth it. After driving all the way to Exmouth it was nice to sit back and let someone else show you around.

Highworth, United...
17. Re: Co's visiting Cape Range NP, Yardie Creek, Torquoise bay etc

Glad to hear you enjoyed your Cape Range tour (mind you, I'm not sure how my children would manage a 12 hour day in the heat though perhaps yours are older than mine, and just had a couple of extra questions about it. Did you book ahead or book on a whim in Exmouth? Also, can you give me an idea on costs please for a family of four (it's about time I started working on costs for this month-long trip - I reckon the Coral Bay section may give the budget a bit of a bashing!) I have a feeling we'll explore this area ourselves now but may try another 4-wheel drive tour to access other areas for snorkelling/wildlife etc and would like to know how easy it is to book or whether I need to do a bit of forward planning and phone ahead once we're in Oz. Thanks for any feedback. Sarah

Edinburgh, United...
18. Re: Co's visiting Cape Range NP, Yardie Creek, Torquoise bay etc

Hi Sarah and Happy New Year

Here are the links to Ningaloo Safari Tours, and Exmouth Bus Charter Tours, with costs.

www.westernaustralia.com/en/pages/Tour.aspx… ($170)

http://www.westernaustralia.com/en/pages/Tour.aspx?pn=Exmouth%20Bus%20Charters%20and%20Tours&pid=9007695($120)

The former is more expensive as it is a longer trip, and includes the 4WD element. It also sets off earlier in the day from Exmouth. Both are quite expensive for a family of 4.

We booked in advance by email, but there was availability on the day. I guess you have to take the chance that there might be places available if you don't want to commit to booking.

You really don't need a 4WD to access good snorkelling beaches as they are not far from the road.

If you haven't already done so, I'd recommend vhecking out the WA tourist site -http://www.westernaustralia.com/en/Pages/Welcome_to_Western_Australia.aspx

Whatever you choose to do, I'm sure you will have a great time.

19. Re: Co's visiting Cape Range NP, Yardie Creek, Torquoise bay etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, October 16, 2009