We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

macaw licks in June

Bay Area
macaw licks in June

I have read that in Manu, the birds do not come to the macaw licks in June. I guess I assume that the same would be true in other places--but I have not found that printed anywhere. We were considering Heath Wildlife Center and Sandoval Lake. Would June be a bad time to go if we are looking for birds?

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
reviews: 306
1. Re: macaw licks in June

Check this ste for more info on the Clay Licks:

http://www.inkanatura.com/macawclaylicks.asp

Actually June is considered HIGH tourist season to visit the clay licks.

Helena, Montana
reviews: 2
2. Re: macaw licks in June

Although June is high season at the clay licks on the Tambopata for tourist visits, bird numbers (especially macaws) are lower at this time of year. This doesn't mean you can't see birds, but you won't see as many macaws or parrots as at other times of the year. Go to the Tambopata Research Center and you should find at least some macaws hanging around.

Bay Area
3. Re: macaw licks in June

Thanks Greg!! What about July? August?

Helena, Montana
4. Re: macaw licks in June

Here is a note from Inkanatura Travel (operators of Heath River Wildlife Center and Sandoval Lake Lodge):

"Important note : please note that all macaw and parrot licks in southern Peru are less active in May, June and early July than in other months."

I have been to the Tambopata Research Center in late July and had great bird viewing (as good as trips in September). Just remember to book your total trip (especially the Inca Trail) way in advance for July/August trips.

Bay Area
5. Re: macaw licks in June

Greg,

Thanks so much for your answer!

One more question: In the middle of July, will the Inca Trail still be green--when does it start to turn brown?

Helena, Montana
6. Re: macaw licks in June

Caligirl,

The Inca Trail won't be as lush and green in July s it would be in May, but it is still a very pretty trip. Machu PIcchus is still somewhat green, as it is in the cloudforest.

Sorry I have been referencing the Tambopata Research Center so much. I happen to know it better than any of the other lodges and have really liked it, and it is near one of the largest claylicks in Peru. I think the other lodges also will be fantastic, and I hope to get to check out Heath Wildlife Center and Sandoval Lake Lodge in particular. Inkanatura Travel is a great company and I have been very impressed with them, so I am sure the lodges are fantastic.

Bay Area
7. Re: macaw licks in June

Greg,

I checked out the Tambopata Research Center. It looks wonderful. We'll have to think on it. The one thing I'm not sure of is the rooms being "open" to the jungle. On the one hand that sounds like it would provide an absolutely amazing jungle experience. But on the other hand--I'm wondering how we'd sleep--wondering which animals were thinking about coming in our room!! Even when I tent camp, I'm always the one who likes to keep the door zipped up!!

Yorkshire
reviews: 46
8. Re: macaw licks in June

Hi , we went to Heath River and Sandoval in September. The problem with Heath River is the awful journey- read my tripadvisor description. Sandoval is much easier and nearer, though it involves a 45 minute walk and canoe ride across the (beautiful) lake. Sandoval also benefits from electricity - only candels in Heath River rooms. Unfortunately Sandoval doesn't have a parrot lick nearby, but there are still plenty of birds to see around the lake including hoatzins! So, take your choice. I'd say Heath River is for the really dedicated nature lover, whereas Sandoval has wider appeal.

Des Langford

Bay Area
9. Re: macaw licks in June

Des,

Thanks for your answer. I read your trip report--sounds like your had quite the journey. It seems that there are so many things that can make travel difficult when visiting the jungle--we're sort of bracing ourselves for whatever happens. I'm still tempted to visit both--that macaw lick is a "must see" from our perspective.

Colorado
reviews: 1
10. Re: macaw licks in June

Hey, caligirl56

Many of the lodges have this open wall arrangement. We happened to stay at Posada Amazonas in September. The open wall was actually one of the high points of the visit!

My wife and I had similar reservations about the "open wall to the jungle" issue and how well we would sleep. But, it turned out to be a non-issue. In fact maybe it was the best part. You definitely don't want to have food in your room because opossums might visit. But we never saw creepy crawlies. Birds do flitter around occasionally but not in an irritating way.

You will be awakened in the early morning by howler monkeys, but you would hear those whether there was a wall or not. It's an exciting experience. Also hearing Macaws with their call and response. It's amazing when you close your eyes you can actually hear a lot about the way animals behave.

Someone snoring in the next room is much more of an issue <g>.

Have a great time!

John