We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A bit of life in oct?

Which Watkins Glen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Redditch Worcs
reviews: 21
A bit of life in oct?

Hi all, we are taking a 2 day drive from niagara with one night in lakes and one in Scranton (I like the look of the old railway station hotel!). Anyway, I am looking at glen motor inn as they have great views, will I be able to get a taxi back from the town at night? Am also considering geneva as they seem to have a few more lively bars with trivia etc(will be there on a weds night), but reading the forums am thinking maybe Ithaca would be more up my street??

Not here for walking just relaxing, sight seeing eating and drinking! Any pointers gratefully received thanks!

Irondequoit, New...
reviews: 63
1. Re: A bit of life in oct?

Ithaca, being a college town and a haven for... let's just say the 60's never really died in certain places, may be the place. Lots of restaurants and bars.

However, October is prime time for the region, so you may run into more booking issues than you'd expect. But I'd still say it's the best bet, especially for ease of (limited) public transport.

Redditch Worcs
2. Re: A bit of life in oct?

Thanks, I did have a bit more of a look at Ithaca last night and the hilton garden inn looks quite good, near bars and restaurants and we could drive through Watkins glen etc on the way.

What is general weather like first weekend in oct?

Think I shall go with Ithaca as I can book on line now for special price of £130 inc breakfast and parking, all the Watkins glen places need you to call and I live in uk so would rather have print outs of bookings etc.

Many thanks for help shall now start checking out Ithaca forum!

Syracuse, New York
reviews: 95
3. Re: A bit of life in oct?

I love Ithaca and believe you have made a good choice. You should find a lot of suggestions for Ithaca on this forum.

Have fun.

Irondequoit, New...
reviews: 63
4. Re: A bit of life in oct?

Generally, first weekend in October will be pleasant days (highs mid teens C/60'sF), lows around 10/40's overnight. October is one of the more unpredictable months, but early on is generally fine. We've planned many outdoors events over the years in early October (including my wedding at Taughannock Falls) and have been fortunate every time, never had a weather related issue.

HGI is in a great location, right off the Commons, so you'll be able to walk to a lot of places. Don't forget to check out the Cornell campus, though.

In addition to the gorge at Watkins Glen, make sure to check out the hike at Robert Treman and possibly Buttermilk. I prefer the former to Watkins, mostly due to having fewer people, but still a very impressive gorge in its own right.

Two off the wall food suggestions for a quick bite, neither within easy walking distance of your hotel but on your way to other destinations would be Ithaca Bakery (not really off the wall) and Wegmans Supermarket (which only sounds off the wall into you go there and see).

Have fun.

Redditch Worcs
5. Re: A bit of life in oct?

Thanks all, think a drive through Watkins and a walk and then beers and food in Ithaca!

6. Re: A bit of life in oct?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 27, 2014