We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Biking in the Finger Lakes

Which Watkins Glen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bethany Beach...
reviews: 44
Road Biking in the Finger Lakes

We are planning on staying in the Finger Lakes area to do some road biking. Can anyone tell me the best area to stay in? We will probably be there a week and would like to stay in two different areas. We like to ride about 30-50 miles a day in low traffic areas. Thanks for your help!

Irondequoit, New...
reviews: 61
1. Re: Road Biking in the Finger Lakes

If you want to stay in two different areas, consider doing the corners - Canandaigua/Ithaca, or Naples/Skaneatales. (I prefer the former)

I think you'll find the area is small enough, though, that it won't really be worth packing up and moving halfway through. You can drive from any point to any point in about an hour, max.

Here's a link to Finger Lakes cycling club, probably your best bet for info:

http://flcycling.org/

I don't ride, so I can't be of much help, but as a bicycle sensitive driver I can give you a general feel that most of the north/south state routes are plenty wide enough with the possible exception of NY21 - there are several areas there that may be hairy, but I may be too cautious, also...

Ithaca, New York
2. Re: Road Biking in the Finger Lakes

Start here: ilovethefingerlakes.com/recreation/bicycling… You have lots of choices depending on your ability. If you like flat rides, the Erie Canal trail is great. Riding around the lakes can be more up hill and down. Make sure you wear a helmet. I posted this ilovethefingerlakes.com/rivers/genesee-part5… a couple of years ago and it has become quite a popular ride, though it's only 20 miles round trip. The most popular book is Take Your Bike by Rick and Sue Freeman. It's available from Amazon. Make sure you get the most recent edition.

Ronda Roaring

ILovetheFingerLakes.com

Warrington, PA
reviews: 25
3. Re: Road Biking in the Finger Lakes

You may be interested in this biking event: http://bontonroulet.com/. Some of the folks in my bicycle club (from the Philly suburbs) do this event every year.

Rochester, New York
reviews: 3
4. Re: Road Biking in the Finger Lakes

Even on the not so quiet roads the biking is pretty great; drivers seem to expect us to be there and the shoulders are very wide and clear. Look up the routes for the HIghlander and Musselman Half Iron triathlon--lots of folks ride those routes and they take you all over the place. I agree that you don't need to change locations, perhaps look for a rental cottage on Keuka Lake?

5. Re: Road Biking in the Finger Lakes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 02, 2014