We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Moshi to Stone town (in one day!)

Which Stone Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool, United...
reviews: 1
Travel from Moshi to Stone town (in one day!)

Hi,

I will be going to Tanzania in October for 3 weeks with my boyfriend. After our safari, we will be dropped off in Moshi and will spend the night there. The next day we'd like to leave Moshi and get to Stone Town that evening.

I have read that the bus we can take from Moshi to Dar MIGHT get us there in time for the last ferry to Stone Town (which I believe is 16:30) but not to count on it.

We are prepared to fly to Stone Town from Dar if needs be (don't really want to waste a night staying in Dar), but we'd much prefer to get the ferry due to our budget.

So basically what I'm asking is - how important is it to book a flight in advance?

Could we take the bus and see if we make it in time for the ferry, and if so - great. But then if not - can we just turn up at the airport and book onto a flight without having booked beforehand?

Also, does anyone know how likely it is that our bus will arrive in time for the ferry?

Thanks in advance :)

Roisin

Edited: 6:26 pm, September 03, 2013
15 replies to this topic
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
reviews: 8
11. Re: Travel from Moshi to Stone town (in one day!)

did anyone happen to notice that this is a five month old post.

London, United...
reviews: 3
12. Re: Travel from Moshi to Stone town (in one day!)

I also noticed that Fastjet don't do flights to Zanzibar any more (at least they aren't shown on their web-site). Karl, thank you for your numerous posts on this web-site, I've been reading through them and found them very helpful whilst planning my own trip! I'm going to be at Moshi evening of the 3rd Sept and am also looking for a 1 day method of getting to Zanzibar.

Would you say it's feasible to make the last ferry (16:30 I believe) to Zanzibar having arrived at Dar 13:25 using Fastjet?

And do you have advice on where to purchase ferry tickets?

I've read people talking about being ripped off by scammers, is there an official/safe place of some kind?

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
reviews: 8
13. Re: Travel from Moshi to Stone town (in one day!)

It could be done arriving at 13:25, if it is on time. I will take you about one hour to get to the ferry port by taxi, tell the taxi driver that you have to catch the ferry and to make certain that you get there on time.

You get your ferry tickets at the kiosks at the entrance to the ferry dock, just ignore all those touts who will be trying to sell you tickets. They like for you to be there by 4:00 for the 4:30pm ferry. I think you might be able to book online at www.azammarine.com/

Cluj
14. Re: Travel from Moshi to Stone town (in one day!)

I also considered the bus but because of the time that you loose and some personal problems I decided to take the flight. For 20 of October you can have a flight from Kilimanjaro to Zanzibar at 128.70 USD with Precision Air (www.precisionairtz.com). The flight start at 18:25 and you'll be in Zanzibar at 19:45. Maybe your drop off after safari can be directly to the Kilimanjaro airport instead of Moshi.

Now.... depends on you. If you consider the bus price, taxi price, ferry price.... and the high probability to loose one day and to have additional costs with the hotel in Dar.... this price for the flight is really attractive.

And yes... the request was from 2013.... so... too late :)

Best regards,

Mihai

Zanzibar, Tanzania
15. Re: Travel from Moshi to Stone town (in one day!)

In addition to all the recommendation that the other have offered fast jet does not come to Zanzibar. If your like to fly over to Zanzibar you will have to use PW.

Reply to: Travel from Moshi to Stone town (in one day!)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted