We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Best 2 Day Serengeti Safari

London, United...
reviews: 1
The Best 2 Day Serengeti Safari

Hi,

I are going to Zanzibar the second week of April and I am hoping to do a quick 2 day safari on our way back to Nairobi. I am very excited having never done a safari before, however I don't have much time (2 days) or money (more than $250) to spend.

I am leaving Zanzibar on the Tuesday and need to be in Nairobi on the Friday evening.

Any suggestions?

8 replies to this topic
1. Re: The Best 2 Day Serengeti Safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 am, January 10, 2013

London, United...
2. Re: The Best 2 Day Serengeti Safari

I hope to have two full days at the Serengeti. As I will fly to Mwanza or Kilimanjaro airport, be there by noon on Tuesday. Taxi straight to Serengeti, but then bus it to Nariobi on Friday afternoon?

Do you think it is possible then?

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia
3. Re: The Best 2 Day Serengeti Safari

>Do you think it is possible then?

No.

This is such a stupid question I can only assume it's a joke. Taxi to the Serengeti? You're having a larf.

Bristol
reviews: 47
4. Re: The Best 2 Day Serengeti Safari

I,m not really sure where to start with this.

Firstly your budget of $250. If that is for your trip then that is not realistic even for 2 days.

I'm not sure what you mean by "get a taxi to the Serengeti". Do you know how far it is from Kilimanjaro Airport to the Serengeti? It will take you all day to drive there. You would need to hire a safari guide and van to do this and then game drives the following day. This will have blown your budget already. A driver and car will cost around $180 per day and that doesn't allow for accommodation.

Then how are you going to get from the Serengeti to Nairobi. Your Tanzanian safari guide won't drive you across the border.

So in answer to your question, No I don't think a 2day safari to the Serengeti is possible within your budget and time frame.

Perhaps look at a day trip to Arusha National Park. Anything much more than that. Will blow your budget due to the cost of guide and vehicle.

London, United...
5. Re: The Best 2 Day Serengeti Safari

I need to re-evaluted my expectations.

Sorry, I don't know how far it is about 200KM/6 hours by bus I suppose I am just looking into this, hence why I am looking for some advice, which I greatly appreciate.

I thought a shuttle bus/taxi to some of the camps near the Serengeti would be possible the day before, assuming I head out from Arusha at around 1pm, then have two full days and then another day to get to Nairobi, so 4 days in total, 2 getting to and from Serengeti and 2 at the park. The $250 is just for the 2 days at the Park, but was hoping not to spend too much getting to and from the park though :)

Thanks for the help!

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia
6. Re: The Best 2 Day Serengeti Safari

Since you are going to Nairobi anyway, why don't you fly straight there from ZNZ (cheap with Fly540). Then do a quick safari into the Masai Mara. Your budget is still too low but you will save money by not having to fly to Arusha and then to Nairobi. Add that money to your safari budget and you've got a much more sensible plan.

New York City, New...
7. Re: The Best 2 Day Serengeti Safari

I'm curious to know whether you were able to do a 2 day tour at Serengeti? I am also interested in doing this then flying to Zanzibar for another 3 days. I will be coming from Dar and anticipate flying to Arusha and arranging transport to Serengeti from there. Any tour guide recommendations?

Edited: 10:02 pm, March 26, 2014
London, United...
8. Re: The Best 2 Day Serengeti Safari

Hi Smid- The Serengeti is at least half a (long) day's drive from Arusha, probably longer. If you want to do a 2 day safari your best bet would be to go to a closer park, like Manyara or Tarangire. If you're serious about visiting the Serengeti for only two days, the only option I would consider is flying from Dar via Arusha into the Serengeti and from the there on to Zanzibar. Several camps will run a fly-in option for you where you do not need to travel in with your own guide.

Alexandra Matts- Travel Director- Extraordinary Africa

Reply to: The Best 2 Day Serengeti Safari
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted