We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting my soldier

Which Watertown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Napoleon, Ohio
visiting my soldier

My husband and I want to visit our son, who is newly stationed at Ft Drum. We are from northern Ohio and are thinking of taking Amtrak to Syracuse and renting a car to Watertown. Any helpful hints as to how to plan this trip and what to do while we are there would be greatly appreciated

Edmond, Oklahoma
reviews: 1
1. Re: visiting my soldier

Not sure if you have already visited him or not, but when I visited my son last year, we spent an entire day in Alexandria Bay/Thousand Islands. It was well worth the trip.

There is also an awesome go-cart track in Alexandria Bay that was inexpensive and lots of fun.

Would have liked to visit the winery in the area and the Boat museum in Clayton, but our time was too limited.

The best Thousand Island tour was the 3 hour tour with tours Boldt Castle and Singer Castle. Thousand Islands was by far well worth the trip and money!

Napoleon, Ohio
2. Re: visiting my soldier

Thank you so much for your reply. No, we have not visited him yet, but are planning to do so in the next month. Your vacation tips are a gret help. Thanks again. PS. hope your soldier is doing well.

Edmond, Oklahoma
3. Re: visiting my soldier

Thank you, my son discharged from the army in January, so he is back at home with us and doing well.

Also wanted to add that if you go to uncle sam's boat tours it will show the description and cost of each tour. If your son is with you, you will all get a military discount. And do not eat at the restaurant that uncle sams boat tours owns....bad reviews and expensive. Island eatery if it is still there is good and inexpensive.

http://www.usboattours.com/

have a good trip!

Edmond, Oklahoma
4. Re: visiting my soldier

Avoid eating at Riverboat Restaurant.....this is the one with really bad reviews. Alexandria Bay has a forum also, and someone posted a long review of this one that was scathing.

5. Re: visiting my soldier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, November 07, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Watertown