We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trek Mount Toukbal without a guide...possible?

Which Imlil hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Trek Mount Toukbal without a guide...possible?

Hi all,

I've been to Morocco before ( Agadir and Marrakech) loved it and would like to go again in May 2013. However this time with a group of 5-10 people to trek to the summit of Jbel Toukbal. We will be doing it for a local chairty and therefore need to keep costs as low as possible. I have some experience in organising charity events in the UK. Snowdon / 3peaks etc

My question is that the flights are coming in at around £135 ish but cost of a guide/mule/food etc is around £150, is it possible to do the trek without a guide ? Therefore maximise the income for the charity.

I know its a 2 day 1 night trek, can we take out our camping gear/food/drinks etc and make our own way up? I have been told that the path is clearly defined and in places signed, is this correct?

Would like to hear from someone who has recently done it if possible and I'll be very interested in read their comments.

Many thanks

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 36
1. Re: Trek Mount Toukbal without a guide...possible?

Your costings are about right (might come in slightly less) as you will need one guide plus at least two mules. Though I'm surprised that you might take these costs out of the money you are raising for the charity!!!

Yes you can do it yourself, the path is clear. You exit Imlil via Armed (aka Aremdt) and head for Sidi Chamrouse then keep going and stop overnight at one of the two refuges at 3200m. Next day start real early--leave bags at refuge-- and do the final 1000m via the South Col, then descend all the way back to Imlil.

You can get water and Sidi Chamrouse and normally higher up as well.

http://www.imlil.org

amazon.co.uk/Moroccan-Atlas-Trekking-Alan-Pa…

Manchester, United...
2. Re: Trek Mount Toukbal without a guide...possible?

Thanks for your reply, some useful information. Was planning to do it without the mules etc and carry all of our stuff up. I would like it to be pretty challenging but not to make it impossible. From your experience does this sound do-able or should I take the mules. We will be taking the out of from 'expenses' but really need to be costs as low as possible.

3. Re: Trek Mount Toukbal without a guide...possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 am, October 03, 2012
4. Re: Trek Mount Toukbal without a guide...possible?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:36 pm, October 03, 2012
UK
reviews: 4
5. Re: Trek Mount Toukbal without a guide...possible?

Hi sk391,

Perfectly possible to ascend Toubkal without a guide or mules if you're an experienced and fit mountain walker. As you say it's a one night two day trip so there is no need for a heavy pack. Always vital to take emergency bivvy gear whenever venturing into the mountains, but I would question the wisdom of taking camping stuff when you can eat and get a bed in the shelters.

I'm not sure what the snow conditions will be like in early May. After a bad winter I suspect that there may be quite a lot of snow high up. If so I would make sure you carry a lightweight ice axe and crampons (and know how to use them!). Route is mainly well marked but there are a couple of points on the ridge at the top where a slip on snow could be dangerous.

6. Re: Trek Mount Toukbal without a guide...possible?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:03 pm, December 24, 2012
somewhere near...
reviews: 43
7. Re: Trek Mount Toukbal without a guide...possible?

Hahaha! Fab!

I'm doing the same kind of thing. On April 2, 2013.

10 of us, from UK, off up the mountain for a Marrakech charity.

PM me if you want.

Apologies in advance - I may not be that quick in replying as busy sorting the trip!! ;-)

Niki.

England
reviews: 2
8. Re: Trek Mount Toukbal without a guide...possible?

I've just returned from a trip to Toubkal. I would class myself as an experienced and fit walker/scrambler/climber and that being said I'm glad I paid the extra for a guide.

Where as the posters above may be correct, the locals suggested that the conditions were not advisable to summit without a guide and they were bang on the money. Crampons and axes were needed plus breaks in the weather.

Conditions on the mountain change all the time - pay for a guide for you all. Leave the mules if you're fit.

Good luck and great idea for the charity work :)

9. Re: Trek Mount Toukbal without a guide...possible?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 3:16 am, March 10, 2014