We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Altitude sickness in High Atlas

Which Imlil hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brighton, England
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
reviews: 56
Altitude sickness in High Atlas

Does anyone have any experience of this? I'm happy for people to tell me it doesn't happen but if it does, what do people do about it?

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 39
1. Re: Altitude sickness in High Atlas

The first sign is normally a headache. Descent is the only viable cure.

Many people climb Jebel Toubkal on a two day ascent from Marrakech--first day Marrakech to Imlil, then start climbing and overnight at the refuge at 3000m, do the final 1200m the next morning, then decend and back to Marrakech.

Personally I feel this is too quick and would put another acclimatisation night in at Imlil (1700m), but having said that, I've not heard of anyone having problems.

General info: http://www.imlil.org

If you are just doing the normal main roads, none of these are more than about 2400m.

Edited: 8:49 am, February 25, 2011
inverness, scotland
reviews: 64
2. Re: Altitude sickness in High Atlas

We had headaches about 100m above Imlil - locals called it altitude sickness and their remedy was plenty of Mint Tea! We are not used to mountaqins, living a sea level, and are not particularly fit, but the headaches went away after a couple of days. It is very dry, however, and dehydration would also be a factor in mountain wellbeing!

3. Re: Altitude sickness in High Atlas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:03 pm, December 24, 2012
4. Re: Altitude sickness in High Atlas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 27, 2013