We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best currency to use in mauritius

Which Trou d'eau Douce hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey
reviews: 3
Best currency to use in mauritius

We depart on the 6th November for 2 weeks at The Silver Beach, can anyone tell me what is the best currency to use when there please. (Local, sterling, dollars or euros).

Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
reviews: 857
1. Re: Best currency to use in mauritius

The main currency is Mauritian Rupees. A very few places claim to be Euros only. I would take sterling and exchange it at the airport at the arrival halls in Mauritius. ATMs are plentiful if you wish to take out money as you go along.

london
reviews: 4
2. Re: Best currency to use in mauritius

Hi there,

I will be at Silver Beach in January, and I've read a few times to get Mauritian Rupees in the arrival halls, is the rate much better, do you know the rate they give, and also is there queues for this will we have time. I dont really even know how much to take, do you know how much trips are, we dont plan to do alot, maybe a boat trip or something like that.

Lots of questions I know, any info would be a great help,

Many Thanks

Dee

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
reviews: 122
3. Re: Best currency to use in mauritius

Hi Dee

Yes the best rate is actually in Mauritius, today's rate published by Shibani is 46 rupees to the GBP. www.shibanifinance.com

There won't be queues for money exchange, there are about 6 booths just before you exit the airport.

As for cost of trips it depends what you intend to do. You will need to check prices when you arrive. Silver Beach is all inclusive so you probably won't have much in the way of hotel extras bill. Although tipping is not expected it's well worth doing IMO, the staff in hotels in Mauritius give extremely good service and like me you will probably feel it should be rewarded.

Best wishes

Mazza :-)

london
4. Re: Best currency to use in mauritius

Hi Mazza,

Thanks thats a great help, will deff get the rupees when we arrive, I just thought that maybe there would queues and we wouldnt have time, so wasnt sure wether to risk it or not.

Yes I always budget for tips too, I know how hard staff work at these hotels and I like to tip for good service, I know would miss my tips at work, I'm a hairdresser !!!

Thanks for your help :o) Dee

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
reviews: 24
5. Re: Best currency to use in mauritius

Hi Dee

On our last trip in August we used the currency exchange at the airport for the first time (always used to get forex before leaving S A). What a pleasure it was!!! I was also worried about long queues and delaying the transport etc etc. I went through to the desk while my husband was collecting our luggage and I was the only person there. It is literally as easy as handing over your pounds and they'll hand you rupees. I then had to wait for hubby who was still waiting for our bags.

Not sure if you've been to Mauritius before but if not this is how to find the desks. As you leave the arrivals hall you will pass all the tour agencies desks, continue passed them towards the parking area and the money exchange desks are on either side near the doors.

From one Dee to another - have a great holiday.

Dee

london
6. Re: Best currency to use in mauritius

Hey Dee

Thanks for your reply, great help, no we've not been to Mauritius before, so your info is great, I will send my hubby off to collect the luggage and I will get the rupees, that all sounds perfect, thanks for the directions, I was just a little worried having not been before,

Cant wait now, 10 weeks an counting !!!!

Dee :o)

scotland
reviews: 1
7. Re: Best currency to use in mauritius

Hi Dee, My husband and I are due to go to Silver Beach in January also. What date are you due to go we leave on the 16th for 2 weeks.

Linzi

london
8. Re: Best currency to use in mauritius

Hi Linzi,

We arrive in Mauritius on 8th Jan to 20th Jan, so we will see you there for a couple of days, cant wait, especially with all this snow we having.

Have you been to Mauritius before, its our first time, its a 50th b'day pressie for my husband,

Look forward to meeting you

Dee :o)

scotland
reviews: 1
9. Re: Best currency to use in mauritius

Hi Dee,

We have never been to Mauritius before but we are really looking forward to it. It will be great to meet up and have a drink and you will be able to let us know the best things to do as you will have been there for a while. Six weeks today cannot wait. See you soon.

Linzi

10. Re: Best currency to use in mauritius

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, June 04, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Trou d'eau Douce
Recent Conversations