We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question ?

Which Balaclava hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wickford, United...
reviews: 4
Question ?

When you have spare space in your case like we had when we went to Cape Verde we took pencils,rubbers sharpners stickers and books for the Children just wondering is this welcome here don't want to offend.

10 replies to this topic
UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
reviews: 37
1. Re: Question ?

Nice thought and I know they are appreciated in some countries but not Mauritius really ;)

Wickford, United...
reviews: 4
2. Re: Question ?

Cheers for the heads up,that just means the wife will pack more clothes as we are going there for 3 weeks in may 2014 for her 50th :(.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
3. Re: Question ?

Don't forget to let the hotel know as they should provide something special for her birthday, especially a 50th - usually a cake and a bottle of vino at least and maybe more!

4. Re: Question ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:05 am, August 18, 2013

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
5. Re: Question ?

Hi Maurilover,

Have you settled back in England OK?

I thought when in Mauritius you dealt mainly with larger items than pencils like household items?

Taunton, United...
6. Re: Question ?

Well settled thank you.....life a lot easier here when you are solo.We dealt with all sorts of items...furniture and fittings/furnishings/clothing and scholastic items. All of which are much in demand.

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
reviews: 122
7. Re: Question ?

That's news to me too. I thought the state education system provided everything in Mauritius.

Taunton, United...
8. Re: Question ?

There are many children excluded from the State secondary system either because they have failed the CPE( certificate of primary education) or whilst having gained admission they have constantly failed to make the grade within the State school...........the school where I worked as a volunteer for 12 plus years is privately run by donations from benefactors and receives NO help from the Government ..there are several such schools offering a basic secondary education. So many of the parents struggle to survive and help provided by people/groups offering basic scholastic materials is very much appreciated...

Even pupils at State schools must provide their own pencils/ exercise books etc

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
reviews: 122
9. Re: Question ?

Is that so? I didn't know that.

I have many friends with children in Mauritius, they are not well off by our UK standards and some struggle but I do know they don't let their children out alone asking tourists for sweets and money etc. as can be seen in Egypt for instance. Maybe the Mauritians are a prouder race, all those I know personally do their utmost to clothe, feed and educate their children which is a great credit to them.

I've never considered Mauritius as a country of beggars, only ever experienced one in all the years we've been going there, which is more than can be said for the so called affluent societies of Greece, France, Spain etc. and UK of course where there are many people to be seen asking passers-by for handouts.

mauritius
10. Re: Question ?

Yes children have always had to provide their own stationary at state schools.

The supermarkets were busy this weekend with parents buying for the start of the next school term.

As for Mauritius being a country of beggars no it is not! However unfortunately they can be seen regularly in certain areas i.e. Port Louis.

As Maurilover stated some parents find it difficult to provide stationary and whilst it is not advisable to hand pens etc out to children some volunteers would be only to pleased to direct them to the correct non funded schools.

Reply to: Question ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted