We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need sea/jelly shoes to walk in the sea?

Which Balaclava hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Braintree, United...
reviews: 1
Do I need sea/jelly shoes to walk in the sea?

Hello,

I'm going to the Maritim Hotel 29th March for my wedding/honeymoon and wondered if I need to buy specific shoes so that i can walk and swim in the sea?

Many Thanks

Anita

Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
reviews: 858
1. Re: Do I need sea/jelly shoes to walk in the sea?

You can use flip flops, some people bring these soft beach shoes. Its useful as there can be coral mingling with the sand.

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
reviews: 122
2. Re: Do I need sea/jelly shoes to walk in the sea?

There is a bit of dead coral on the beaches which can be troublesome. I would wait and see how you cope. You can buy some cheap reef or jelly type shoes in the supermarkets in Mauritius.

Mazza :-)

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
reviews: 24
3. Re: Do I need sea/jelly shoes to walk in the sea?

We used cheap jelly type shoes when we stayed at Le Victoria which is close to Maritim as there was coral at the water's edge which was uncomfortable to walk on. We bought ours at the SuperU supermarket in Grand Baie - much cheaper than buying from the hotel gift shop.

Dee

London, United...
reviews: 58
4. Re: Do I need sea/jelly shoes to walk in the sea?

Have a look at Amazon - they do some well reviewed beach shoes for around £8

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
reviews: 122
5. Re: Do I need sea/jelly shoes to walk in the sea?

I've seen them cheaper than £8 in Mauritius. The cheaper the better then you can always throw them away before you fly home.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
reviews: 24
6. Re: Do I need sea/jelly shoes to walk in the sea?

Agree with you, Mazza. I think ours cost around Rs100 at SuperU last year.

London, United...
reviews: 58
7. Re: Do I need sea/jelly shoes to walk in the sea?

Hi Mazza,

That is something I have thought about, but downside is you have to go shopping as soon as you get there, and after a 12/13 hour flight, all i want to do is go in the sea, so I'll probably take some with me to be honest and hang the extra expense! :)

Plymouth, United...
reviews: 3
8. Re: Do I need sea/jelly shoes to walk in the sea?

Personally, I would try to avoid stepping into the sea in Mauritius without something fairly solid on my feet, certainly when I go outside the small designated swimming areas. Not surprisingly, interesting sealife does not tend to congregate that much in areas where people are having fun.

It is so easy to have your attention on something else and not notice that you have accidentally trod on a sea urchin - holiday ruined.

Take something bought at home and which you know you are happy with.

Jellies may be OK. Solid wet boots better (open-heeled fins can go over the top). I've spent 3 holidays in Mauritius - a lot less than many contributors to the Mauritius forums - but I did spend a lot of time frolicking in the lagoon each holiday and that is a large part of what made Mauritius special for me. (back again in April...)

9. Re: Do I need sea/jelly shoes to walk in the sea?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 08, 2014