We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggested Route - Corning to Syracuse

Which Syracuse hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 65
Suggested Route - Corning to Syracuse

Hi;

What would be the most scenic route from Corning to Syracuse, in early October ?

(travelling by car)

Best Regards

10 replies to this topic
Syracuse, New York
reviews: 7
1. Re: Suggested Route - Corning to Syracuse

If I went, I would go route 81 to 13. An alternate route taking you on a route that is mostly regular roads (as opposed to divided highways is to take 690 west to 13 & head south on 13.

Syracuse, New York
2. Re: Suggested Route - Corning to Syracuse

One more note. Don't discount the trip down 81. Yes, it is a limited access highway but much of it is in the Onondaga hills & some of it is along the side of the hills. So, even if it is a quick way of going, there are still lots of pretty vistas along the way.

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
reviews: 5
3. Re: Suggested Route - Corning to Syracuse

I agree with cyblume, 81 can be scenic. I enjoy the ride to the falls.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
4. Re: Suggested Route - Corning to Syracuse

Hi cyblume & daisey10;

We've travelled I-81 many times over the years, to/from to Philadelphia. While it can be scenic, we were looking for something off the interstate.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Best Regards

Syracuse, New York
5. Re: Suggested Route - Corning to Syracuse

From Corning take 414 to Route 20. This will take you between 2 of the Finger Lakes up to the Cherry Valley Turnpike.

Syracuse, New York
6. Re: Suggested Route - Corning to Syracuse

If you want to see the route go to mapquest put in your starting and ending addresses and select the options avoid highways and shortest route

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
7. Re: Suggested Route - Corning to Syracuse

Thanks cyblume !

Syracuse, New York
8. Re: Suggested Route - Corning to Syracuse

Using MapQuest or Google Maps to find a route that you like is one of the unknown uses for these sites. I use them all the time to figure out which route to use in terms of ease of getting there (like less route numbers to remember), scenery, time of travel. Even if I don't end up printing out a map, it makes it easier for me (who admits to being a visual person) to figure out what route I want to take.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
reviews: 126
9. Re: Suggested Route - Corning to Syracuse

From Corning, take NY 414 north to Watkins Glen. About a mile after passing through WG, take NY 79 east to Lisle then take US 11 north (if you encounter the village of Whitney Point you went too far). Continue until you encounter the village of LaFayette then take US 20 east. Just before the village of Cazenovia, take NY 92 to Syracuse.

This is a longer route than the interstate but is very scenic; especially the US 20 section.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
10. Re: Suggested Route - Corning to Syracuse

Thanks rjr0810 !

Reply to: Suggested Route - Corning to Syracuse
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted