We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Based in Syracuse in April

Which Syracuse hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portsmouth, United...
Based in Syracuse in April

Hi Tripadvisors!

My Husband and I are travelling to Syracuse next April to meet up with family but while we are there we want to take in some of the sites as its our first USA visit. We plan to hire a car to collect from the airport on arrival and return on departure and we are there for 10 nights.

From Syracuse is it possible to do day trips to...

NYC?

Statue of Liberty?

Niagra Falls?

And are there any recommended sites that we may not of heard of in Britain?

thanks in advance :-)

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
reviews: 143
1. Re: Based in Syracuse in April

Syracuse to NYC is 5 hours one way ... to Niagara Falls is 3-3.5 hours one way. Neither of these are really leisurely day trips.

There is a lot of interesting history, beautiful scenery and easy access to the wine country in the immediate area. Unless I know more about your specific interests, it's hard to give your a more concise reply. I recommend reading up on Central NY and/or the Finger Lakes to get some background on the area if you haven't already done so.

Good Luck!

Syracuse, New York
reviews: 12
2. Re: Based in Syracuse in April

These are possible day trips - but as the last poster stated, it's difficult to provide suggestions without know your interests. As for New York city, Philadelphia is actually closer to Syracuse than is NYC.

Adirondacks (some locations would be a daytrip)

Finger Lakes wine region

Corning Museum of Glass

Lake Ontario (some locations would be a daytrip - e.g., Sodus Bay or Chimney Bluffs Park)

Cooperstown, NY

Skaneateles, NY (part of the Finger Lakes)

New York Wine & Culinary Center, Canandaigua, NY

Portsmouth, United...
3. Re: Based in Syracuse in April

Thanks for your replies!

How about public transport? Is there a greyhound or suchlike that we can use to get to the city?

Although the primary focus of our visit is family (and theres a lot to catch up with during our 10 days) we would like to see the international tourist locations if possible.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
reviews: 143
4. Re: Based in Syracuse in April

There is regular (several times daily) bus service to NYC as well as train (Amtrak).

There is bus service to Niagara Falls from Syracuse (I'm not sure if it's direct).

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 89
5. Re: Based in Syracuse in April

You might want to look at Amtrak's Maple Leaf service train #63, 64 that train offers service from NYC to Niagara through Syracuse. Go to Amtrak.com and pull the Maple Leaf schedule form the timetables menu.

Portsmouth, United...
6. Re: Based in Syracuse in April

Ahhh now thats sounding more promising! Thanks people i'll check that out now ;-)

7. Re: Based in Syracuse in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 18, 2011