We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay north fork or south fork

Which Riverhead hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
where to stay north fork or south fork

planning a 4 day getaway. need advise on where to stay .coming from the bronx, would like beach, wineries, quaint fishing villages,

would like to see as much as possible without driving too muck.looking at the dreamers cove inn.. please give advise. would like accomodations on the water

9 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 2
1. Re: where to stay north fork or south fork

You won't find accommodation on the water on the South Fork near wineries so you'd best stay on the north fork. Dreamer's Cove looks nice but I don't know the immediate area around it. Riverhead overall is not quaint or a fishing village. There's more fishing on the south fork so you want a combination of things I don't think exist.

NYC
2. Re: where to stay north fork or south fork

Try Greenport on the North Fork. It's a quaint fishing/whaling village near both beaches and wineries. One of these might work for you:

http://www.soundviewinn.com/index.php

http://www.theharborfrontinn.com/

southoldbeachmotel.com/Southold%20Beach%20Mo…

Be sure to get lunch at Claudio's and afternoon drinks on the porch at VINe!

Warrington, PA
reviews: 27
3. Re: where to stay north fork or south fork

I'll second the vote for basing yourself in Greenport. You'll be short drive from the wineries and can walk to restaurants, shops and bars.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
4. Re: where to stay north fork or south fork

How are the beaches in Greenport?

Warrington, PA
reviews: 27
5. Re: where to stay north fork or south fork

We never go to Greenport for the beach and other than a very small, rocky public beach at the foot of (I think) 5th, I've never seen a beach in Greenport! (though I haven't looked for one either) It seems like most of the beaches in the area are private or reserved for certain residents?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
6. Re: where to stay north fork or south fork

That's why I was asking the question. I have seen a very small beach in town but it's not where I'd like to swim but there may be others. This OP mentions beach as the first item they want.

NYC
7. Re: where to stay north fork or south fork

Try Cedar Beach County Park in Southold - it's just a short drive from Greenport:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/10293113

NYC
8. Re: where to stay north fork or south fork

Oh, and no town permit needed.

New York City, New...
reviews: 17
9. Re: where to stay north fork or south fork

greenport is an adorable fishing village- think mystic conn. The harborfront inn is nice and has a pool. There are wineries and farms. Beaches on the north shore are not great. They are rocky. The south shore has the best beaches.

Reply to: where to stay north fork or south fork
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Riverhead
More Riverhead Topics