We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honemoon decision

Which Fira hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
newcastle
reviews: 1
Honemoon decision

Hey all

We are looking to spend 7th -21st August 2007 in Santorini for our honeymoon. We are looking for 7 nights in the north of the island - we have been looking at Oia and Imerovigli areas and our budget is up to around 270 euros per night. We would like somewhere with views, a pool, quiet area and a resonable standard of room. We like to walk around so just outside of these areas is fine also.

For the second week we would like to try a different part of the island and therefore looking for area with a bit more life and we are quite happy to do self catering style apartment with a budget of up to 115 euros. we have been looking at Kamari and Perissa but also

Fira.

Is it possible to stay further north on the island and still be able to visit the south quite easily?

thanks in advance

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 18
1. Re: Honemoon decision

We enjoyed everywhere we went in Santorini on our honeymoon, but we wouldn't have wanted to stay in any place but Oia. It is the most romantic of all the places we saw there, and has the views you are looking for.

Your budget would fit in nicely that time of year. For example, the honeymoon suite at Oia Mare (VERY nice, though I only visited. But I know two couples who have stayed there and loved it) is 275 euros a night, if you could find the extra 5 euros.

It has a pool, and, well, it IS the honeymoon suite!! At least look into it. Without researching it for you, I'd say there are several places of similar quality in that price range. Oia Mare, if I'm not mistaken, would give you a nice sunset view. But I believe it lacks a direct view of the caldera because of it's location toward the tip of the island. But I recall the view was stunning.

Cottage Grove...
Destination Expert
for Santorini
2. Re: Honemoon decision

Visiting the rest of the island from Oia during the day is not a problem but there are some limitations related to public transportation. The bus system is excellent, but in the summer months it stops running about 10:30 PM. Taxis get scarce after midnight, so if you plan to take advantage of Fira's lively nightlife scene you'd be better off staying in Fira, Firostefani or Imerovigli so you can walk back to your room.

Staying at the beach for your second week is a good idea if you think you'd be needing a change of scenery or if you want something more lively than Oia, but the same transportation situation applies. There are lots of bars at Perissa and Kamari but I don't know of any dance clubs-perhaps someone else does.

In your 115 Euro/night price range there is a very nice self-catering hotel with pool in Oia. Check out the Anemomilos Hotel. In Firostefani check out the Villa Ilias.

newcastle
3. Re: Honemoon decision

Well, one of my favourite hotels on the list, teh Annastassis is fully booked. So a few emails to send tody to check availability.

The reason for the change in the second week is my fiance wants to be near a beach although neither of us were taken with Kamari or Perissa. We are not interested in lively bars and nightclubs.

We really like small local places to eat and drink but wanted possibly more of a choice and a location that had more to do in the area.

we are still open to all suggestions epecially for the second week.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
4. Re: Honemoon decision

Just make sure she knows that Santorini's beaches aren't anything special. It's more pebbly than sandy, mostly.

If she knows that and is fine with it, then go for it. Otherwise, perhaps ponder spending the second week on another island with better beaches.

Santorini has tons to offer, but beaches aren't really part of the attraction.

newcastle
5. Re: Honemoon decision

The fiance in question is a bloke and the reason for the beach is that he loves swimming in the sea whereas I am more of a lounger by the side of a pool!

Just heard that Ether Studios have availability - any feedback on this anybody?

Anastasis is available the second week which is a hard decision as we wnated the nicer place for the first week straight after the wedding etc!

So, I still have a second week dilemma?

Any suggestions where to stay? Stay in the north and after a week in either Oia or Imervogli move down to Fira or move further south than that?

All advice gratefully received!

Sharon

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
6. Re: Honemoon decision

whoops! sorry 'bout that.

Cottage Grove...
Destination Expert
for Santorini
7. Re: Honemoon decision

The Ether Studios are on the road that leads down to Amoudi, to what I consider the best swimming on the whole island. Amoudi is a small fisherman's wharf area below Oia. There is a seawall that begins on the wharf that follows the shoreline for about 1/4 mile. At the end of that trail are some large volcanic rocks you can lay out on, and across a narrow 100 ft. channel is a small rock island with a cement platform for sunbathing and an upper level platform for diving into beautiful 15 ft. deep blue water.

Also in Oia, did you check out the Volcano's Villas?

In Firostefani check the Villa Ilias.

newcastle
8. Re: Honemoon decision

All booked up at last!

We have the first week of our honeymoon at the Ether Traditional Guest Houses and have a guaranteed studio with a private veranda with a bargain price of 90 euros a night.

Our second week we are staying at the Anastasis Apartments. Unfortunately all the suites are booked but we are really looking forward to experiencing somme luxury.

So, thanks to all those who supplied names of places to stay. As we are in Oia for one week and Imerovigli the second week, what sort of things would you recommend that we should definately NOT miss and possibly not bother as much about visiting?

Many thanks

Sharon

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
9. Re: Honemoon decision

Congratulations. I hope you have a great time. How could you not in Santorini?

Make sure to visit Ammoudi. Have a beer at Katina (and some fish, of course) and if the weather permits, take brotherleelove's advice and take a dip off the rocks. It's spectacular scenery from that vantage point. I wish weather would have allowed me to swim on my visit, but the water was crashing in the high winds and it wasn't warm enough.

Cottage Grove...
Destination Expert
for Santorini
10. Re: Honemoon decision

There are 2 historical sites on the island, Ancient Thera above Kamari Beach, and Akrotiri, at the south end of the island. They're both worth visiting, although I don't know if Akrotiri will have been reopened yet. They're doing some construction repairs on the protective roof covering.

There's a half- or full-day cruise excursion into the caldera that allows you to hike on the volcano, swim in the volcano hot springs and visit the small island of Therassia on the far side of the caldera. There's also an evening sunset cruise that sounds great to me.

In Fira you can visit the small Cycladic museum.

There are several wineries on the island with tasting rooms. Sigalas Winery is in Oia.

Also in Oia is Santorini Mou, a taverna that offers traditional Greek music and dance.