We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting A Taxi in Santorini vs. Hiring A Private Guide

Which Fira hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Malibu, California
reviews: 7
Getting A Taxi in Santorini vs. Hiring A Private Guide

We will be cruising the Mediterranean with one day in port in Santorini mid-October. We would like to take a taxi from Fira to Oia, which we did on a previous cruise to Santorini. Our previous visit to Santorini was in August about 5 years ago. In August, it was extremely difficult getting a cab (I'm still not sure how we did it!) because Fira was so crowded with cruise passengers looking for cabs. Once we got the cab, we paid him to wait for us in Oia while we had lunch and briefly (really briefly!) walked around. Then, he took us back to Fira. Here are my questions:

1) Will it be just as difficult in mid-October to find a taxi as it was in August?

2) Once we get to Oia, is it necessary to have the taxi wait for us for our return to Fira (like we did 5 years ago), or are there many taxis in Oia? When we visited Santorini about 5 years ago, we noticed a total absence of taxis in Oia (except for ours!) Has that changed, or is it still a concern that we may be stranded in Oia without holding our taxi from Fira?

3) Is there a telephone number to call for a cab? Are they responsive and dependable if you call?

4) Is it worthwhile hiring a private guide? If we did this, then we could visit more than just Fira and Oia. Any suggestions on what else we might do or see? Any suggestions for a private guide that you have used and would recommend?

5) We are in port 10:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. Will this make it more difficult picking up a taxi if there are other ships in port the same day that arrive early in the morning?

6) Is there a website where I can find which ships are in port in Santorini the day that we will be there? That may help in determining how difficult it may be to get a cab.

I know that there is a bus that goes between Fira and Oia, but from the descriptions I have read about how overcrowded the buses can be, I really prefer to take either a taxi or private guide. Therefore, I ask -- taxi vs. private guide. What to do????

Thanks for the help.

Shelley

Cottage Grove...
Destination Expert
for Santorini
1. Re: Getting A Taxi in Santorini vs. Hiring A Private Guide

1) No.

2) Taxis will be coming and going all day. You can either wait in the bus square for one or have someone in a restaurant call one for you. All the restaurants know the number.

3) 22860-22555

4) If you want to see more then a car and driver are a good idea.

http://www.thirahotels.com/Santorini-taxi.htm

thiratours.com/Private_tours_Shore_Excursion…

http://www.santorinitours.net

5) Perhaps, but it's nowhere near as busy in October as in August.

6) cruisett.com/ports.php?PortID=805&date=38 Don't expect to see the schedule for next October for several months yet.

The bus won't be overcrowded in October. Catch it at the bus square below the Atlantis Hotel, which is on the main cliffside thoroughfare in Fira. The taxi stand is also in the same general area nearer to the town square.

Southern California
reviews: 5
2. Re: Getting A Taxi in Santorini vs. Hiring A Private Guide

Hi Shelley,

It's me from C C Message Board. I'm not a Santorini expert; in fact brotherleelove helped me before my trip. We were in Santorini one day on our cruise, and then flew back at the end and spent three glorious days. This was early Oct. We used both taxis and the bus--had no problems with either.

I think hiring a private guide would be a great way to go. We didn't do much sightseeing-- wanted more to relax and enjoy the views, but besides going to Oia and Fira, you could visit some of the wineries, Ancient Akrotiri, and other areas that your guide would know about.

We stayed at Anastasis Apt., and they were only going to be open two more weeks before shutting down for the season--think you'll find Santorini much quieter than it was in August.

Have fun!

Cynthia

Malibu, California
reviews: 7
3. Re: Getting A Taxi in Santorini vs. Hiring A Private Guide

Thanks for your prompt reply. Additional questions:

1) Do we need to use Greek money for the taxis and buses? Is it the Euro?

2) Do we need exact change? How much do we need to get from Fira to Oia? How much to get from Oia to Fira?

3) Where do we go in Oia to find the taxi stand and the bus stand?

4) Will it be just as easy to get a taxi or on the bus in Oia as in Fira?

5) Do the taxi drivers and the bus drivers speak English? Unfortunately, we don't speak Greek!

6) Where do I find a bus schedule for October?

Thanks,

Shelley

Cottage Grove...
Destination Expert
for Santorini
4. Re: Getting A Taxi in Santorini vs. Hiring A Private Guide

1) The euro is the currency used in Greece. There are lots of ATMs all over the island.

2) The exact fare is difficult to predict, but it will cost around €15 each way. The taxis are metered. Exact change isn't needed as long as you don't try to pay with a huge bill.

3) The bus square in Oia is where the taxis normally drop off passengers. It's in the heart of the village on the main road, just past the steep downhill cement road on the right that goes over to the other side of the island. There's a small supermarket on that corner where the cement road begins.

4) In October the buses run about one every hour in either direction.

5) Most, if not all, taxi drivers do speak enough English to go where you tell them you want to go. Many are quite fluent in English. It's a small island, they know everything about the locations.

6) http://www.ktel-santorini.gr The most up to the minute schedules are posted in the bus squares in Oia and Fira both. The fare is €1.4 per person. Take a seat on the bus and someone will come to you for the money. Try to have exact change or a small bill.

Edited: 7:48 pm, December 27, 2010
5. Re: Getting A Taxi in Santorini vs. Hiring A Private Guide

Our cruise stops in Santorini in September. We were planning to take a taxi to Oia but now I learned that there will be 4 ships at port. How difficult will be to take a taxi or is better to reserve a private tour. How expensive they are?

6. Re: Getting A Taxi in Santorini vs. Hiring A Private Guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, October 20, 2012