We will be cruising the Mediterranean with one day in port in Santorini mid-October. We would like to take a taxi from Fira to Oia, which we did on a previous cruise to Santorini. Our previous visit to Santorini was in August about 5 years ago. In August, it was extremely difficult getting a cab (I'm still not sure how we did it!) because Fira was so crowded with cruise passengers looking for cabs. Once we got the cab, we paid him to wait for us in Oia while we had lunch and briefly (really briefly!) walked around. Then, he took us back to Fira. Here are my questions:
1) Will it be just as difficult in mid-October to find a taxi as it was in August?
2) Once we get to Oia, is it necessary to have the taxi wait for us for our return to Fira (like we did 5 years ago), or are there many taxis in Oia? When we visited Santorini about 5 years ago, we noticed a total absence of taxis in Oia (except for ours!) Has that changed, or is it still a concern that we may be stranded in Oia without holding our taxi from Fira?
3) Is there a telephone number to call for a cab? Are they responsive and dependable if you call?
4) Is it worthwhile hiring a private guide? If we did this, then we could visit more than just Fira and Oia. Any suggestions on what else we might do or see? Any suggestions for a private guide that you have used and would recommend?
5) We are in port 10:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. Will this make it more difficult picking up a taxi if there are other ships in port the same day that arrive early in the morning?
6) Is there a website where I can find which ships are in port in Santorini the day that we will be there? That may help in determining how difficult it may be to get a cab.
I know that there is a bus that goes between Fira and Oia, but from the descriptions I have read about how overcrowded the buses can be, I really prefer to take either a taxi or private guide. Therefore, I ask -- taxi vs. private guide. What to do????
Thanks for the help.