We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

oia castle vs. aspaki - desperately getting close to travel

Which Oia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
california, us
reviews: 2
oia castle vs. aspaki - desperately getting close to travel

We have 2 weeks until our trip to Santorini and I could only get one night's accomodation at SunRocks. I have found availability at Oia Castle and Aspaki and am wondering which one would be recommended over the other. I know they're both owned by the same man and both seem to get great reviews although they're both at the top end of our price range. Aspaki seems like it has a better location right in the heart of Oia but Oia Castle seems to be noted for better views of the sunset? It doesn't appear that either have pools - do they have agreements with other hotels to use their facilities, etc?

there is availability at Santorini Princess as well but I thought a few nights in Oia and then the one night near Firo would be a nice change. Is that foolish?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thank you.

Cottage Grove...
Destination Expert
for Santorini
1. Re: oia castle vs. aspaki - desperately getting close to travel

You've identified the main difference, the view. Both places have excellent views. Aspaki's is of the caldera and the rest of the island while the Oia Castle's view looks westward towards the sunset with no view of the caldera at all. You'll have to decide which is more important to you, sitting on your balcony whenever you want and looking out into the caldera, or having a view of the open sea and the northern tip of the island and the sunset in the distance. As far as pools are concerned, I don't think there's any sort of agreement with another hotel for the use of their pool. I do remember that one of the Oia Castle units has a small indoor pool, just can't remember which unit, as well as common use of an outdoor jacuzzi spa.

NJ
2. Re: oia castle vs. aspaki - desperately getting close to travel

I think brotherleelove noted the main differences.

We are staying at the Aspaki, Endless Blue suite next July. I don't believe there is pool access at any adjacent hotels and there is definitely no pool onsite. the pool, or lack thereof, is not really an issue for us b/c we plan to spend the days either at the beach, on the terrace enjoying the view or driving around exploring the island.

I chose Aspaki over Oia Castle b/c I can catch the sunset from anywhere else on the island during those few critical moments. I would personally rather have a full view of the caldera all day. Of course, it all depends on personal preference.

Keep us updated on which hotel you choose and I hope you have a fantastic time!

california, us
3. Re: oia castle vs. aspaki - desperately getting close to travel

Thanks. We ended up choosing Aspaki as well for the reasons you stated. At the end of the day, I think/hope we'd be happy with either !

We're getting excited - only one week left to go. I'll let you know how it was after we return so check back in early Oct.

Cottage Grove...
Destination Expert
for Santorini
4. Re: oia castle vs. aspaki - desperately getting close to travel

I love the Aspaki Suites! You'll have a wonderful time. Please tell Dimitris that Lee Marks says hello.

maryland
reviews: 1
5. Re: oia castle vs. aspaki - desperately getting close to travel

Read my review on Tripadvisor from our late August visit to Aspaki in Endless Blue. We've been all over the world and this was our absolute favorite. Run some cool water into your outdoor jacuzzi like we did and sit back with a glass of wine, while looking out at the gorgeous blue sea. Not exactly like a pool but private and refreshing nonetheless. Have a wonderful visit. Threehearts

Washington, DC
6. Re: oia castle vs. aspaki - desperately getting close to travel

You're going to have a wonderful time at a beautiful property. Tell Dimitris the Wades said hello!

california, us
7. Re: oia castle vs. aspaki - desperately getting close to travel

We just returned from our trip and Aspaki was breathtaking. From the moment we turned the corner and saw the entrance to it, we were in awe. The pictures don't do it justice. The place is beautifully furnished and we chuckled at all the people curiously trying to get into the suites to see what it was all about. They looked at us in awe as we were able to open the gates! Nikkolas was very accomodating and nice and we loved his pastry shop recommendation. You couldn't get a better location.

We never met Dimitri and it's not a place staffed with a real front desk and 24 hour over the top service (like SunRocks in FiroStefani) but the location and ambiance offsets that.

You're going to have a wonderful time there!

Matfield, Kent...
reviews: 3
8. Re: oia castle vs. aspaki - desperately getting close to travel

Brotherleelove!

You seem to be a big fan of the Aspaki and Oia Castle. I have been toying with the idea of hiring both Aqua and Marine suites in Oia Castle but cant find a picture or details of the 'indoor pool' that is in the Aqua Suite.

Is this any good as there seems to be no photographic evidence of a pool albeit some splendid shots of the rest of the rooms that look stunning. are they hiding something??

any comments appreciated.

Cottage Grove...
Destination Expert
for Santorini
9. Re: oia castle vs. aspaki - desperately getting close to travel

The Oia Castle wasn't finished when I was there in 2005 so I didn't get to see it. I did receive an email from someone who did who mentioned the pool and had very positive things to say. I do, however, think the word "pool" is used loosely here. It's probably more like a large spa. The description, "Indoor heated swimming pool with hydro massage," suggests that. The owner, Dimitris, is very clever. I'm thinking he might have used the old cistern on the bottom level of the property that was used for water storage before the village had its own water system. This is the same way he found space for the bathroom of the Deep Blue Suite at Aspaki. If you're wanting a large pool for swimming you most likely will not find it there, but you certainly won't be disappointed by the rest of these suites' amenities. Dimitris is a highly imaginative designer of spectacular accomodations.

King of Prussia...
reviews: 21
10. Re: oia castle vs. aspaki - desperately getting close to travel

hello everyone,

i have a quick question... how are you guys booking this room in Aspaki? I've been trying nonstop to contact the owner or someone (haven't tried the phone yet... on my list of to dos), but haven't heard back? any help would be appreciated!

thanks... also, lgjnk... can you provide me w/ a decriptive review w/ pics of the room (endless blue). if it's too much of a hassle, don't worry about it.

thanks...