We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunset Advice, Please...

Which Oia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Florence, Italy
reviews: 2
Sunset Advice, Please...

We are going to be in Oia in October and want to get the most optimal view of the sunset from our suite, if this is possible...I am wondering if anyone knows (brotherleelove?) if any of the following properties terraces will have this sort of view - and if not, is it going to be a huge sacrafice not to have this view during our stay?

The three properties we are currently debating are:

1. The Sea Captain's House

2. Oia Castle (Sunset Suite)

3. Mystique (the new Starwood Property - not yet open)

Also, being that this is our wedding/honeymoon, we would like a place where we will maybe get a little bit spoiled...from what anyone knows of any of these properties, which has the best service from that perspective (sunset views aside)?

Many thanks to any and all!!!

afrenchsoul

Manchester
11. Re: Sunset Advice, Please...

Brotherleelove,

I kindly ask you to send me the aerial picture too. My email is maggiekell@yahoo.com. I thank you.

Spain
12. Re: Sunset Advice, Please...

Hello,

Could you please send it to me too?

mtsg67@hotmail.com

Thanks a lot!!!

13. Re: Sunset Advice, Please...

May I also receive an arial map Brotherleelove?

Thanks, Richard Elrick @ r.elrick@verizon.net.

14. Re: Sunset Advice, Please...

brotherleelove said that the sunset will be blocked by land if you stayed at the mystique...what exactly did you mean by that? That they(mystique) will be building in front to block the view? please explain because I'm trying to decide if the mystique will be the place to be.

Cottage Grove...
Destination Expert
for Santorini
15. Re: Sunset Advice, Please...

chicagobulls-

The north end of the island is curved like a crooked finger tip. The hotels facing west towards the sunset are on the outside of the curve. Mystique and most of the other hotels are on the inside of the curve and actually face southwest into the caldera itself. Have you taken a look at a map of the island? Go to this website:

…santoriniartspirit.com/index_files/image298…

Because of its location at the far end of Oia away from the sunset the view from Mystique will also look west, but only for a short part of the year will the sun set in the sea in the gap visible between the end of the island and Therassia, the island on the other side of the caldera. The rest of the year the sun will either set behind Therassia or behind Oia. I have no idea when the best time to see the sun set into the sea from Mystique would be.

I know this is a bit difficult to envision, but if you take a look at this photo it might help you understand. It was taken from the same general area as the location for Mystique.

travel-to-santorini.com/members_images/3077.…

California
reviews: 2
16. Re: Sunset Advice, Please...

We will be staying at Mystique in the early part of July. We also have reservations at 1800 and Selena. Seeing the best sunset is a nice feature to our vacation. Where to you recommend we plan to see the sunset?

Richt2u

Cottage Grove...
Destination Expert
for Santorini
17. Re: Sunset Advice, Please...

If you want to watch the sun actually drop behind the horizon you can walk to the end of Oia to watch this. But as I've already written, depending on when you're there it's possible that you can see this from Mystique. But for me the best experience isn't actually watching the sun drop behind the horizon but watching all the colors changing in the sky and on the buildings of the villages along the cliff. This you can do from Mystique or from anywhere along the cliff. There is no sunset view from 1800 but I think you might be able to watch it from Selene.

Portland, OR
18. Re: Sunset Advice, Please...

Hi brotherleelove,

Is it possible to send me the map of Oia as well? My email is mbarnaick@hotmail.com.

I'm also thinking about staying at the Oia Castle. The place looks amazing, but the only disadvantage that I can see is the lack of swimming pool. Is there anything else that I should be aware of? What exactly does "self-catering" mean, like you mentioned above? You mentioned that the Castle is on the North end of town. How long of a walk is it the "main" part of town?

Thanks in advance!

Cottage Grove...
Destination Expert
for Santorini
19. Re: Sunset Advice, Please...

mbaranick, did you spell your email address correctly? I tried twice to send you the map of Oia but got a delivery failure notice.

Self-catering means there are kitchen facilities in the suite.

Oia isn't a town, it's a small village. You can walk from Oia Castle to the central village square in 10 minutes. There are no vehicles permitted in this part of the village, so it's all foot traffic there.

20. Re: Sunset Advice, Please...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, August 29, 2009