We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadian to Zanzibar resort late Feb

Which Zanzibar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
reviews: 77
Canadian to Zanzibar resort late Feb

Hey guys and gals,

We are on our way too Zanzibar Feb 27th, and plan on staying there 4 nights after the typical 6 day kili hike and 4 night safari.

My question... any recommendations on resorts that have that luxury feel…maybe a pool, of course a clean white sand beach, BUT not over $800-$1100 for 2 people like I keep stumbling upon in the Nungwi region (though I hear they have the best beach?).

Being a Canadian (not European), our dollar makes this stay very expensive! On top of that, with them charging per person, plus meals being charged at a premium, I worry paying the $300-400/night will be a big let down in expectations.

We want to relax, but in the same breath, love going out for drinks…maybe stumble into other travellers….basically not a honeymoon only sleepy resort haha.

We were looking at an ocean front room at "Next Paradise Boutique" for best bang for the buck. Any comments on that, or better options?

Thanks

9 replies to this topic
Toronto, Ontario...
reviews: 3
1. Re: Canadian to Zanzibar resort late Feb

We are going in Jan. Next paradise looks nice but they told me it's mandatory 1-week stay during that time. We ended up booking Dongwe ocean view but I think the hilton or Zanzibar retreat would be good too.

Arusha
2. Re: Canadian to Zanzibar resort late Feb

Check Smiles Beach Resorts, we are working with them and got a lot of good recommendations.

Calgary, Canada
3. Re: Canadian to Zanzibar resort late Feb

Thanks guys. I also asked purezanzibar who seems to post a lot on here, looks like I might focus around the Nungwi region due too its sand and meeting others on their travel. Seems like there are 3-4 choices in the 300-500 range per night. I think its between Hideaway (newish), Ras Nungwi, and Essqyue.

Any others?

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 62
4. Re: Canadian to Zanzibar resort late Feb

We did Rawai and it was great. A couple we met went to nungwi before they came to Rawai and said Nugwai was very very very expensive.

Dar es salaam
reviews: 8
5. Re: Canadian to Zanzibar resort late Feb

Whenever I travel to Znz I normally stay at Langi Langi Hotel. Its a family owned hotel and you get great service. I normally stay at the garden facing rooms (cause im a cheap @ss!!!) and pay around US$ 120 for a double. But if your budget stretches to it, the sea view rooms are better and go for around 200. Defiantly worth having a look at.

Nungwi is defiantly the best place to go to in Zanzibar. The best beaches (for some reason there is no such thing as low tide there) and great snorkeling / scuba at Mnemba Island.

Calgary, Canada
6. Re: Canadian to Zanzibar resort late Feb

We ended up splurging a bit…went with Hideaway Resort All Inclusive Superior room…liked the idea of having our own area, newer resort, and awesome location. We heard the service lacks a bit, but rooms, food, and location make up for it.

nyc
7. Re: Canadian to Zanzibar resort late Feb

Believe you made a good choice with Hideaway, AI. Do, however, be certain though if ordering a bottle (vs just per glass) of wine, verify it is included and the cost. You don't want any surprises.

Calgary, Canada
8. Re: Canadian to Zanzibar resort late Feb

Thanks….will do. Heard All Inc over there is a bit different then what I'm used too in the Caribbean;)

Newark, Delaware
reviews: 3
9. Re: Canadian to Zanzibar resort late Feb

You can probably get into Hideaway at Nungwi for around your budget. Double Tree by Hilton is not nearly as nice, but also an acceptable resort and it is quite a bit cheaper. If you have the Tour Operator book your rooms they usually get about 30% discount so they can probably do a deal for you.

If you would consider Matemwe which is also nice, I prefer Sunshine Hotel for the beach, or their property a little further north Sunshine Marine Lodge, is great for people that want to snorkel or dive.

Reply to: Canadian to Zanzibar resort late Feb
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted