We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth traveling to Zanzibar with senior citizens?

Which Zanzibar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
India
reviews: 4
Worth traveling to Zanzibar with senior citizens?

Hi, I was planning to travel to Serengeti and Zanzibar in November 2013. My mother has severe arthritis in her knees and her mobility is limited. My father and I don't swim (or snorkel for that matter). Is Zanzibar worth including in our itinerary?

I was thinking of covering the Stone Town, isola Nakupenda Beaches, spice tour and marine parks.

But from some reviews on Tripadvisor, I learnt that the maintenance of the buildings in Stone Town is poor. Mid-range (price) hotels have poor service and facilities; bed bugs and roaches in some cases :(. Luxury hotels are beyond my budget. Any words of wisdom on this?

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 44
1. Re: Worth traveling to Zanzibar with senior citizens?

Many Stone Town hotels have steep staircases - make sure you insist on one with a lift or ground floor room, for your mother.

Or stay at a beach resort near ST and take a taxi in when you want to look round.

Swimming isn't compulsory and Zanzibar has lots of historical, cultural and animal interest, besides beaches.

nyc
2. Re: Worth traveling to Zanzibar with senior citizens?

Besides the very steep steps in many of the hotels in Stone Town, the streets here are uneven and rather dirty. This area (the entire island for that matter) is tropical weatherwise - hot/humid. Most who visit here do so, if time allows, as an 'extension' to safari, so isn't 'a must' unless the history is of interest or spending days on a beach are what they're seeking.

If you do decide to visit and as mentioned above, look for a ST hotel with a lift or room on 1st floor and a/c if you can afford, though most all have ceiling fans. And, seriously consider taxis with a/c to get about, though some areas within ST cannot be reached by vehicle... feet only will get you about.

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 90
3. Re: Worth traveling to Zanzibar with senior citizens?

If a lift, make sure it is a functioning lift, but the power often goes out which would make any lift useless. I would keep it to the main floor for bedrooms.

India
reviews: 4
4. Re: Worth traveling to Zanzibar with senior citizens?

That really helps clarify things! Thanks!

Lusaka, Zambia
reviews: 2
5. Re: Worth traveling to Zanzibar with senior citizens?

To add to the above, AFAIK the only hotel in Stone Town that has an elevator (at least, that I can think of off-hand) is the Zanzibar Grand Palace. But as posted above, even without power cuts, it is advisable to check first that it is in working order.

6. Re: Worth traveling to Zanzibar with senior citizens?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:05 pm, July 21, 2013
Darwin, Australia
reviews: 2
7. Re: Worth traveling to Zanzibar with senior citizens?

If you do not want to do any water type activities but have a nice stay on the beach maybe consider Kilima Kidogo at Paje. It is a small quiet B&B literally on the beach from where you can organise all the spice tours and drives you would like. I stayed there in June and I do no water sports but enjoyed sitting on the beach, in the shade of the restaurant and my son used the pool to cool off.

8. Re: Worth traveling to Zanzibar with senior citizens?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, July 24, 2014