We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sole female traveler looking for hotel recommendations

Which Zanzibar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
reviews: 2
Sole female traveler looking for hotel recommendations

Dear TA fellows - I'll be in Zanzibar for three days mid-November post-Tanzania safari and post-Rwanda gorilla viewing. I'm of a certain age and from San Francisco; I melt in especially hot weather. I'm looking for a nice hotel near a beach with the option of snorkeling reasonably nearby where I'd be comfortable on my own. Our tour operator has suggester Matemwe Beach Village. It does sound lovely but I understand it doesn't have AC. I have read here the problems with AC, in that the room has to be closed up for it to work, and how the ocean breezes can cool things down. My budget can handle a bit more than the MBV is charging. While I love good food, comfort and relaxing is more of a priority for these three days.

thanks so much for your help

Marie

Zanzibar, Tanzania
reviews: 1
1. Re: Sole female traveler looking for hotel recommendations

I would suggest you Chwaka Bay Resort...

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
reviews: 6
2. Re: Sole female traveler looking for hotel recommendations

None of us know what your personal comfort levels are, so it is difficult for us to say whether A/C is demanded. Myself, I am not in A/C much of the time anymore so I have learned how to get along without it even in very hot weather, others ask me constantly how can I get along without it (I always tell them that if you are my age you know what it was like when no one had A/C). Some of us have become so accustomed to A/C that when we don't have it we make ourselves miserable.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 33
3. Re: Sole female traveler looking for hotel recommendations

Marie,

I stayed at the Kiva Resort, at Mtemwe in February. Small, privately owned, decent food. I have group trying Echo Beach, down the coast in November. I've heard great things about it.

Kent
4. Re: Sole female traveler looking for hotel recommendations

Hello,

Zanzibar has literally hundreds of properties in all shapes and sizes from large all inclusive resorts to smaller more intimate properties. Fortunately there are a few good Zanzibar agents that could help you find the right one for you. Without having spoken to you it is difficult to make good suggestions however perhaps take a look at Kasha, similar location to MBV but with AC and plunge pool to help you cool off.

I hope this helps and you enjoy Zanzibar.

Jambiani, Tanzania
reviews: 22
5. Re: Sole female traveler looking for hotel recommendations

If you are at the South East coast, you will always have a nice breeze coming from the coast, and A/C is not necessary - also considering the immense energy that it uses up, and Zanzibar is already struggling with reliable power supply.

6. Re: Sole female traveler looking for hotel recommendations

Hello,

Do you recommend Sun and Seaview Bungalows in Paje/Bwejuu?

I like what I see from their website, but only concern is they don't have A/C.....is it necessary in November? I will be there around Nov. 11th to 15th, probably same as Marie. :)

The other choice will be Blu Marlin Village which is in Kiwengwa.....with the similar price range but they have A/C which I am not sure if it works perfectly. But it seems more like an Italian owned because most of the reviews are in Italian. :(

Darwin, Australia
reviews: 6
7. Re: Sole female traveler looking for hotel recommendations

Try Kilima Kidogo at Paje, we stayed there in June so it was not as hot as you will experience but there is AC and as it is on the beach you will get any breeze. The house is a villa nice and cool if you don't want to venture outside.Only small B& B with pool and restaurant, very quite and most suitable for single female, host is a very nice South African lady who can organise as little or as much as you want and you can customise whatever you want to eat. The chef even managed some donuts for my son!

Toronto, Canada
8. Re: Sole female traveler looking for hotel recommendations

Hello,

Call up "Hideaway of Nungwi ". It is a 5 star. Our family we will be staying there in August.

Good travels.

9. Re: Sole female traveler looking for hotel recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 04, 2014