We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Based in Stonetown and travel around Zanzibar? (4-5 days)

Which Zanzibar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 34
Based in Stonetown and travel around Zanzibar? (4-5 days)

Hi,

I am still in a dilemma on whether to split my stay between Stonetown and Nungwi/Kendwa, or should I just based myself in Stonetown throughout. Estimate will spend about 4-5 days in Zanzibar, but just wondering if it's worth the effort to 'relocate' myself from one hotel to another, or just stay put at one place on the island throughout and go-out-and-about on daytrips to different corner of the island

I understand the main corners/towns of the island is about 1 hr away from Stonetown in different direction eg north, northeast, south, southeast etc). However, is it easy for an independent traveller (not on group tour package) to get around by yourself in Zanzibar? By dalla-dalla? or hire taxi?

I am not a big beach person - will appreciate walking on the nice powdery beach all day for 1 or 2 days, but am not the kind of person who spend my entire vacation swimming or sunning on beach. However, I like adventure activities, cultural activities, animals/wildlife, nature, heritage/architecture, food, etc.

Any advice appreciated.

Zanzibar, Tanzania
1. Re: Based in Stonetown and travel around Zanzibar? (4-5 days)

Per the details my pure advise will be that u stay in stone town for the heritage,culture,architecture,food and all your interests you will meet them there.

Then for the odd ones you can arrange some days out of stone town to the beachand other sides then over night stone town.

going the beach for a walk and such then you can plan among the days and dalla will help your budget specially going the north.

Zanzibar, Tanzania
2. Re: Based in Stonetown and travel around Zanzibar? (4-5 days)

Per the details my pure advise will be that u stay in stone town for the heritage,culture,architecture,food and all your interests you will meet them there.

Then for the odd ones you can arrange some days out of stone town to the beachand other sides then over night stone town.

going the beach for a walk and such then you can plan among the days and dalla will help your budget specially going the north.

Zanzibar, Tanzania
3. Re: Based in Stonetown and travel around Zanzibar? (4-5 days)

For you inetrest I will advise that you stay at a town hotel that is closer to the beach. This will give you access to walking on the beach and you will also be able to take most of the tours at a cheaper price as you are in town compared to if you are off the town area.

Karibu saaana and enjoy your stay in Zanzibar

Stone Town, Tanzania
4. Re: Based in Stonetown and travel around Zanzibar? (4-5 days)

My advise is like this: on your arrival go direct to the beach Kendwa or Nungwi,for 3 nights , then on the day 4 in the morning check out early then do the spice tour en route then to stone town. in afternoon you can visit the prison island. the day of your departure do the city tour in the morning, then later transfer to airport or seaport.

that will be enough .

welcome to zanzibar

5. Re: Based in Stonetown and travel around Zanzibar? (4-5 days)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 11, 2014