We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo female traveller in need of a safe hotel in Zanzibar

Which Zanzibar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Solo female traveller in need of a safe hotel in Zanzibar

Hi guys

Could anyone recommend a safe place/hotel in Zanzibar (not Stone Town) for a 30 year old female solo traveller? I will be flying into Zanzibar on the 4th to 9th of March and still haven't book anything. My budget is low, i.e up to £80/90. I would have just finished climbing Kilimanjaro so something quite, by the sea and relaxing is all I am after. I have done a lot of research but not many solo females go to Zanzibar so have no idea of safety of any of the low costing hotels/hostels. Also, good food (which seems to be a problem) would be much appreciated.

Any ideas? Thanks

Poznan, Poland
reviews: 25
1. Re: Solo female traveller in need of a safe hotel in Zanzibar

We just got back from Zanzibar. Stayed in many different places but we really enjoyed a small B&B run by a Danish lady and her local husband - Dudes Guesthouse in Jambiani. We paid $50 per night for a nice double room with great, freshly made breakfast. There are many local restaurants nearby for the other meals. Dude is great and friendly guy and the place feels like home away from home. Out of many places I visited on the island I found Jambiani most tranquil, peaceful and welcoming. My wife went shopping in the village and walking by the beach by herself many times and never felt uncomfortable in any way.

London, United...
2. Re: Solo female traveller in need of a safe hotel in Zanzibar

Ah thanks, that's good to hear! Appreciated :)

Zanzibar, Tanzania
3. Re: Solo female traveller in need of a safe hotel in Zanzibar

You are welcome to the other place that we can suggest will be nungwi and kedwa these are plavce that will really do for solo travellers.

Avis Zanzibar

dorset
reviews: 38
4. Re: Solo female traveller in need of a safe hotel in Zanzibar

I have recently travelled to Stone Town, Nungwi and Jambiani. If you do decide on Stone Town, the Clove Hotel would be good especially if you are on your own. It is very central and has a great roof terrace (I didn't stay there as it was full. I stayed at the Hotel Kiponda which I really liked, but it did not have a very 'communal' feel). My tip would be to take a small compass with you to help negotiate the small alleys (at least you will be going in the right direction).

We stayed at the Nungwi Inn (they have various rooms there). It is right on a beach that you can always swim at and very close to bars/restaurants etc. We visited Kendwa - which also looked good - but seemed to have more expensive accommodation than Nungwi. It is all very much 'on the beach'.

In Jambiani we stayed at the Shehe Bungalows (which are very cheap at $35 inc breakfast). They are in a fabulous location right on the beach but to be honest the rooms are very basic. Also - depending on when you are there you may or may not be able to swim (tide times vary every day - you may be lucky and have the sea by 1430, on other days the tide could go out at 0900 and not come back in until 1700 or so!)

Jambiani is a really nice village where you can mix with the locals a bit (there is a lot of activity on the beach - fishing, seaweed farming, kids playing, football etc plus a village with a few small shops). In Kendwa and Nungwi the tourists are quite separate from the locals.

Zanzibar is very beautiful and definitely worth visiting. Just bear in mind wherever you go that there are a lot of power cuts and the water often goes off as well.

Edited: 6:35 am, February 14, 2013
Hertford, United...
reviews: 5
5. Re: Solo female traveller in need of a safe hotel in Zanzibar

Have a great time out there reensport and please report back. I'm 34and desperate to go to Zanzibar. I'd also be going alone. Have travelled the world alone but am apprehenive about going alone to Zanzibar for some reason so Id be really interested in your feedback and if you find somewhere really nice.

Bishops Stortford...
reviews: 3
6. Re: Solo female traveller in need of a safe hotel in Zanzibar

I am planning the same killimanjaro climb followed by zanzibar break as you but for the New Year 2014! Please let me know where you stay and if you'd recommend it.

Thankyou! and have an amazing time.

Just out of interest which company are you climbing kili with?

Manchester, United...
reviews: 21
7. Re: Solo female traveller in need of a safe hotel in Zanzibar

We stayed at Matemwe Beach Village, there were several solo travellers (including a single girl) there, as well as couples and small groups of friends like ours. It's very quiet, not much to do outside of the few hotels dotted along Matemwe beach. Food was excellent I thought, some of the best we ate in Tanzania. Pool area really nice and beach for miles and miles, I have nothing to compare it to as I've been nowhere else on Zan other than stonetown.

Deinze, Belgium
reviews: 6
8. Re: Solo female traveller in need of a safe hotel in Zanzibar

We stayed at Sazani Beach in Nungwi. Really nice. A bit more than 100 dollars a night.

Beautifull place , nice hotel manager (Nicki) and very peacefull (if this is what you are looking for). Food could be beter, but they are other restaurants not far.

Zanzibar is mainly safe. Of course everywhere you can have travel.

Enjoy it,!!! myzelf I am dreaming of going back as soon as possible.

9. Re: Solo female traveller in need of a safe hotel in Zanzibar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 17, 2014