We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Security issues?

Which Zanzibar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
United States
reviews: 106
Security issues?

We are about to end up a trip to Tanzania with a visit to Zanzibar. Our hand luggage is all camera equipment and we are already concerned about the weight.

Does anybody know what the security issues are near Uroa? I hate the thought that we can't snorkel because we are afraid to leave the camera gear in our room

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 53
1. Re: Security issues?

Leave it with the manager or in a safe, if you are worried. But I would be very surprised if theft is an issue. Word tends to spread, and clients cancel and go elsewhere.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
reviews: 6
2. Re: Security issues?

Personally, I would never take anything to Tanzania which would be a catastrophe if it were lost. Anything can happen. Its a very poor country and you will be seen as wealthy. They have a saying there, if you take a little bite out of an elephant, it won't miss it. You are the elephant.

No one can guarantee security. If they do they don't know what they are talking about, IMO. There are always petty thieves about. The good thing is that they typically won't harm you, they only want your possessions.

I have had things stolen (in groups I have taken there) in every kind of situation, including a Roman Catholic hostel where a man had all of his money stolen while he was in the shower.

United States
reviews: 106
3. Re: Security issues?

We live half the year in South Africa for the past 6 years, I appreciate the answer.Very familiar with the situation. Unfortunately, it is impossible to go on a Photographic Safari without taking expensive lenses. Dilemma...

Will obviously ask to store a bag with the manager however we were hoping to hear some first hand experience relating to the general reputation of the area..

Thanks....

dorset
reviews: 45
4. Re: Security issues?

Have you looked at the reviews for the hotel you will be staying in to see what other guests say about this? Also, you could email previous guests to see what security arrangements are like there (is there a safe etc).

You can purchase portable bag type safes from Pacsafe (we have one for our passports etc which we use when there is no central safe available). I think they also do larger versions that would be suitable for camera equipment etc. Might be worth looking into.

We have this one:

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000KFYYDO/…

Alberta
reviews: 5
5. Re: Security issues?

I can't speak personally for that area...but...we spent 5 nights on Chumbe island and like you we had lots of camera equipment, iPads and laptop. What we did on the island was we pad locked our backpacks and then we had a locked cable that we tied the backpacks up to the mainframe of the hut! We also did the same for the night we spent in stonetown. We had no issues....Maybe we were just lucky! lol. While on safari our backpacks were always in the vehicle with us.

Zanzibar, Tanzania
6. Re: Security issues?

There are many things that might be said about Zanzibar some might be true some not because it is no that seriously bad here.

All i will advise is that you will have to conatct the person incharge at the hotel that you will be staying and inform him of anything that you will be leaving behind so that It becoaes there responbility.

We wish you all the best and welcome to Tanzania.

Rgards

7. Re: Security issues?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 06, 2014